// CODE SNIPPET
402.6 Interior Finishes and Features
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Interior wall and ceiling finishes within the mall of a covered mall building and within the exits of covered or open mall buildings shall have a minimum flame spread index and smoke-developed index of Class B in accordance with Chapter 8. Interior floor finishes shall meet the requirements of Section 804.
- 1.1. Fire-retardant-treated wood complying with Section 2303.2.
- 1.2. Foam plastics having a maximum heat release rate not greater than 100 kW (105 Btu/h) when tested in accordance with the exhibit booth protocol in UL 1975 or when tested in accordance with NFPA 289 using the 20 kW ignition source.
- 1.3. Aluminum composite material (ACM) meeting the requirements of Class A interior finish in accordance with Chapter 8 when tested as an assembly in the maximum thickness intended.
- Kiosks or similar structures located within the mall shall be provided with approved automatic sprinkler system and detection devices.
- The horizontal separation between kiosks or groupings thereof and other structures within the mall shall be not less than 20 feet (6096 mm).
- Each kiosk or similar structure or groupings thereof shall have an area not greater than 300 square feet (28 m2).
Children's play structures located within the mall of a covered mall building or within the perimeter line of an open mall building shall comply with Section 424. The horizontal separation between children's play structures, kiosks and similar structures within the mall shall be not less than 20 feet (6096 mm).
Plastic signs shall be not greater than 36 inches (914 mm) in height, except that where the sign is vertical, the height shall be not greater than 96 inches (2438 mm) and the width shall be not greater than 36 inches (914 mm).
Plastic signs shall be located not less than 18 inches (457 mm) from adjacent tenants.
Plastics other than foam plastics used in signs shall be light-transmitting plastics complying with Section 2606.4 or shall have a self-ignition temperature of 650°F (343°C) or greater when tested in accordance with ASTM D1929, and a flame spread index not greater than 75 and smoke-developed index not greater than 450 when tested in the manner intended for use in accordance with ASTM E84 or UL 723 or meet the acceptance criteria of Section 803.1.1.1 when tested in accordance with NFPA 286.
Edges and backs of plastic signs in the mall shall be fully encased in metal.
Foam plastics used in signs shall have flame-retardant characteristics such that the sign has a maximum heat-release rate of 150 kilowatts when tested in accordance with UL 1975 or when tested in accordance with NFPA 289 using the 20 kW ignition source, and the foam plastics shall have the physical characteristics specified in this section. Foam plastics used in signs installed in accordance with Section 402.6.4 shall not be required to comply with the flame spread and smoke-developed indices specified in Section 2603.3.
The density of foam plastics used in signs shall be not less than 20 pounds per cubic foot (pcf) (320 kg/ m3).
The thickness of foam plastic signs shall not be greater than 1/2 inch (12.7 mm).