// CODE SNIPPET
803.5 Interior Finish Requirements Based on Occupancy Group
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Interior wall and ceiling finish shall have a flame spread index not greater than that specified in Table 803.5 for the group and location designated. Interior wall and ceiling finish materials, other than textiles, tested in accordance with NFPA 286 and meeting the acceptance criteria of Sections 803.2.1 and 803.2.2, shall be permitted to be used where a Class A classification in accordance with ASTM E 84 is required.
|Vertical exits and
|Vertical exits and
|A-1 & A-2||B||B||C||A||Ad||Be|
|A-3f, A-4, A-5||B||B||C||A||Ad||C|
|B, E, M, R-1||B||B||B||A||A||C|
|U||No restrictions||No restrictions|
- Class C interior finish materials shall be permitted for wainscotting or paneling of not more than 1,000 square feet of applied surface area in the grade lobby where applied directly to a noncombustible base or over furring strips applied to a noncombustible base and fireblocked as required by Section 803.4.1.
- In vertical exits of buildings less than three stories in height of other than Group I-3, Class B interior finish for nonsprinklered buildings and Class C interior finish for sprinklered buildings shall be permitted.
- Requirements for rooms and enclosed spaces shall be based upon spaces enclosed by partitions. Where a fire-resistance rating is required for structural elements, the enclosing partitions shall extend from the floor to the ceiling. Partitions that do not comply with this shall be considered enclosing spaces and the rooms or spaces on both sides shall be considered one. In determining the applicable requirements for rooms and enclosed spaces, the specific occupancy thereof shall be the governing factor regardless of the group classification of the building or structure.
- Lobby areas in Group A-1, A-2 and A-3 occupancies shall not be less than Class B materials.
- Class C interior finish materials shall be permitted in places of assembly with an occupant load of 300 persons or less.
- For churches and places of worship, wood used for ornamental purposes, trusses, paneling or chancel furnishing shall be permitted.
- Class B material is required where the building exceeds two stories.
- Class C interior finish materials shall be permitted in administrative spaces.
- Class C interior finish materials shall be permitted in rooms with a capacity of four persons or less.
- Class B materials shall be permitted as wainscotting extending not more than 48 inches above the finished floor in exit access corridors.
- Finish materials as provided for in other sections of this code.
- Applies when the vertical exits, exit passageways, exit access corridors or exitways, or rooms and spaces are protected by a sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2.