// CODE SNIPPET
P2804.6 Installation of Relief Valves
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
The discharge piping serving a pressure relief valve, temperature relief valve or combination valve shall:
- Not be directly connected to the drainage system.
- Discharge through an air gap located in the same room as the water heater.
- Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the valve served and shall discharge full size to the air gap.
- Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping serving any other relief device or equipment.
- Discharge to the floor, to the pan serving the water heater or storage tank, to a waste receptor or to the outdoors.
- Discharge in a manner that does not cause personal injury or structural damage.
- Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable by the building occupants.
- Not be trapped.
- Be installed to flow by gravity.
- Terminate not more than 6 inches (152 mm) and not less than two times the discharge pipe diameter above the floor or waste receptor flood level rim.
- Not have a threaded connection at the end of the piping.
- Not have valves or tee fittings.
- Be constructed of those materials indicated in Section P2906.5 or materials tested, rated and approved for such use in accordance with ASME A112.4.1.
- Be one nominal size larger than the size of the relief-valve outlet, where the relief-valve discharge piping is installed with insert fittings. The outlet end of such tubing shall be fastened in place.
Related Code Sections
P2804.6 Water Heaters, Installation of Relief Valves
A check or shutoff valve shall not be installed in any of the following locations: Between a relief valve and the termination point of the relief ...
Residential Code 2018 of Kansas > 28 Water Heaters > P2804 Relief Valves > P2804.6 Installation of Relief Valves
504.2 Water Heaters, Vacuum Relief Valve
Bottom fed water heaters and bottom fed tanks connected to water heaters shall have a vacuum relief valve installed. The vacuum relief valve shall ...
Section 1307 Fuel Oil Piping and Storage, Fuel Oil Valves
is installed. A relief valve shall be installed ...
1006.5 Boilers, Water Heaters and Pressure Vessels, Installation
Safety or relief valves shall be installed directly into the safety or relief valve opening on the boiler or pressure vessel. Valves shall ...
Mechanical Code 2018 of Kansas > 10 Boilers, Water Heaters and Pressure Vessels > 1006 Safety and Pressure Relief Valves and Controls > 1006.5 Installation
18.104.22.168 Marine Systems, Relief Valves
Relief valves shall be installed on the tank to avoid overpressurization and false actuation of any dry pipe valve ...
Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems 2016 of Kansas > 26 Marine Systems > 26.7 Water Supplies > 26.7.2 Pressure Tank > 22.214.171.124 Relief Valves