// CODE SNIPPET
E3802.1 Installation and Support Requirements
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
GENERAL INSTALLATION AND SUPPORT REQUIREMENTS FOR WIRING METHODSa, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k
(Requirement applicable only to wiring methods marked "A" )
|Where run parallel with the framing member or furring strip, the wiring shall |
be not less than 11/4 inches from the edge of a furring strip or a framing mem-ber such as a joist, rafter or stud or shall be physically protected.
|Bored holes in framing members for wiring shall be located not less than 11/4 |
inches from the edge of the framing member or shall be protected with a min-imum 0.0625-inch steel plate or sleeve, a listed steel plate or other physical
|Where installed in grooves, to be covered by wallboard, siding, paneling, car-|
peting, or similar finish, wiring methods shall be protected by 0.0625-inch-thick steel plate, sleeve, or equivalent, a listed steel plate or by not less than
11/4-inch free space for the full length of the groove in which the cable orraceway is installed.
|Securely fastened bushings or grommets shall be provided to protect wiring |
run through openings in metal framing members.
|The maximum number of 90-degree bends shall not exceed four between |
|Bushings shall be provided where entering a box, fitting or enclosure unless |
the box or fitting is designed to afford equivalent protection.
|Ends of raceways shall be reamed to remove rough edges.||—||A||A||A||—||A||—||A||—|
|Maximum allowable on center support spacing for the wiring method in feet.||4.5b, c||10||3b||4.5b||4.5i||3d||2.5e||—||2.5|
|Maximum support distance in inches from box or other terminations.||12b, f||36||36||12b, g||12h, i||36||12||—||—|
For SI: 1 inch = 25.4 mm, 1 foot = 304.8 mm, 1 degree = 0.0175 rad.
- Installed in accordance with listing requirements.
- Supports not required in accessible ceiling spaces between light fixtures where lengths do not exceed 6 feet.
- Six feet for MC cable.
- Five feet for trade sizes 11/4 through 2 inches, 6 feet for trade sizes 2 1/2 through 3, 7 feet for trade sizes 31/2 through 5 inches, 8 feet for trade size 6 inches.
- Two and one-half feet where used for service or outdoor feeder and 4.5 feet where used for branch circuit or indoor feeder.
- Twenty-four inches for Type AC cable and 36 inches for interlocking Type MC cable where flexibility is necessary.
- Where flexibility after installation is necessary, lengths of flexible metal conduit and liquidtight flexible metal conduit measured from the last point where the raceway is securely fastened shall not exceed: 36 inches for trade sizes 1/2 through 11/4, 48 inches for trade sizes 11/2 through 2, and 5 feet for trade sizes 21/2 and larger.
- Within 8 inches of boxes without cable clamps.
- Flat cables shall not be stapled on edge.
- Bushings and grommets shall remain in place and shall be listed for the purpose of cable protection.
- See Sections R502.8 and R802.7 for additional limitations on the location of bored holes in horizontal framing members.