188.8.131.52.2 Inspection Control
(a) General Requirements
(1) Switches for transferring the control of the moving walk to inspection operation shall be provided or a switch shall be provided at each landing in a portable control station; the switch(es) shall function as follows:
(-a) be through a contact that shall be positively opened mechanically and whose opening shall not depend solely on springs
(-b) be manually operated
(-c) be labeled "INSPECTION"
(-d) have two positions, labeled "INSPECTION" or "INSP" and "NORMAL" or "NORM"
(-e) when in the "INSPECTION" position, it shall cause the movement of the moving walk to be solely under the control of constant-pressure operating devices at that landing or in that portable control station
(-f) be arranged so that if more than one inspection transfer switch is in the "INSPECTION" position, then all constant-pressure operating devices at all locations shall be inoperative
(-g) be protected against accidental contact
(2) Constant-pressure operating devices shall
(-b) be distinctly recognizable from indications on the device as to the direction of travel controlled
(-c) be protected against accidental contact
(-d) be located so that the moving walk treadway surface is within sight
(4) When portable control stations are used, the cord length shall not exceed 3000 mm (120 in.).
(b) Plug-in Portable Control Station. A plug-in portable control station shall be permitted, provided that
(2) when the switch, if provided, is in the "INSPECTION" position, or when the control station is plugged in, it shall cause the movement of the moving walk to be solely under the control of constant-pressure operating devices contained in the portable unit
(3) the plug-in portable control station is stored at the upper landing machinery space