Section 5104 Inside Storage of Aerosol Products
Aerosol products in plastic containers larger than 4 fluid ounces (118 ml), but not to exceed 33.8 fluid ounces (1000 ml), shall be allowed only where in accordance with this section. The commodity classification shall be Class III commodities, as defined in NFPA 13 where any of the following conditions are met:
- Base product does not have a fire point where tested in accordance with ASTM D92, and nonflammable propellant.
- Base product does not sustain combustion as tested in accordance with Appendix H, "Method of Testing for Sustained Combustibility," in DOTn 49 CFR Part 173, and nonflammable propellant.
- Base product contains up to 20 percent by volume (15.8 percent by weight) of ethanol, isopropyl alcohol or a combination thereof in an aqueous mix, and nonflammable propellant.
- Base product contains 4 percent by weight or less of an emulsified flammable liquefied gas propellant within an aqueous base. The propellant shall remain emulsified for the life of the product. Where such propellant is not permanently emulsified, the propellant shall be nonflammable.
Storage of Level 2 and 3 aerosol products in occupancies in Groups A, B, E, F, I and R shall be limited to the following maximum quantities:
- A net weight of 1,000 pounds (454 kg) of Level 2 aerosol products.
- A net weight of 500 pounds (227 kg) of Level 3 aerosol products.
- A combined net weight of 1,000 pounds (454 kg) of Level 2 and 3 aerosol products.
The maximum quantity shall be increased 100 percent where the excess quantity is stored in storage cabinets in accordance with Section 5704.3.2.
Storage consisting of solid pile, palletized or rack storage of Level 2 and 3 aerosol products not segregated into areas utilized exclusively for the storage of aerosol products shall comply with Table 5104.3.1.
NONSEGREGATED STORAGE OF LEVEL 2 AND 3 AEROSOL PRODUCTS IN GENERAL PURPOSE WAREHOUSESb
|MAXIMUM NET WEIGHT PER FLOOR (pounds)b|
|Palletized or |
|Combination 2 and 3||2,500||12,000||2,500||24,000|
For SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm, 1 pound = 0.454 kg, 1 square foot = 0.0929 m2.
|Separation areae, f||15||20,000||Notes b, c|
|Chain-link fence enclosured||20||20,000||Notes b, c|
|1-hour fire-resistance-rated interior walls||20||30,000||Note b|
|2-hour fire-resistance-rated interior walls||25||40,000||Note b|
|3-hour fire-resistance-rated interior walls||30||50,000||Note b|
For SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm, 1 square foot = 0.0929 m2.
- The maximum segregated storage area shall be limited to the smaller of the two areas resulting from the percentage of building area limitation and the area limitation.
- Automatic sprinkler system protection in aerosol product storage areas shall comply with NFPA 30B and be approved. Building areas not containing aerosol product storage shall be equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.
- Automatic sprinkler system protection in aerosol product storage areas shall comply with NFPA 30B and be approved. Sprinkler system protection shall extend a minimum 20 feet beyond the aerosol storage area.
- Chain-link fence enclosures shall comply with Section 518.104.22.168.
- Separation areas shall only be permitted where approved.
Chain-link fence enclosures required by Table 5104.3.2 shall comply with the following:
- The fence shall be not less than No. 9 gage steel wire, woven into a maximum 2-inch (51 mm) diamond mesh.
- The fence shall be installed from the floor to the underside of the roof or ceiling above.
- Class IV and high-hazard commodities shall be stored outside of the aerosol storage area and not less than 8 feet (2438 mm) from the fence.
- Access openings in the fence shall be provided with either self- or automatic-closing devices or a labyrinth opening arrangement preventing aerosol containers from rocketing through the access openings.
- Not less than two means of egress shall be provided from the fenced enclosure.
AISLE WIDTH (feet)
|Solid pile or palletizeda||4 feet between piles||25|
|Racks with ESFR sprinklersa||4 feet between racks and adjacent Level 2 and 3 aerosol product storage||25|
|Racks without ESFR sprinklersa||8 feet between racks and adjacent Level 2 and 3 aerosol product storage||25|
For SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm.
- Sprinklers shall comply with NFPA 30B.
- A net weight of 2,500 pounds (1135 kg) of Level 2 aerosol products.
- A net weight of 1,000 pounds (454 kg) of Level 3 aerosol products.
- A combined net weight of 2,500 pounds (1135 kg) of Level 2 and 3 aerosol products.
The maximum aggregate storage quantity of Level 2 and 3 aerosol products permitted in separate inside storage rooms protected by an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with NFPA 30B shall be 5,000 pounds (2270 kg).
|MAXIMUM NET WEIGHT PER FLOOR (pounds)|
|Separated from |
|Basement||Not Permitted||Not Permitted||Not Permitted|
For SI: 1 pound = 0.454 kg, 1 square foot = 0.0929 m2.
- The total aggregate quantity on display and in storage shall not exceed the maximum retail display quantity indicated in Section 5106.3.
- Storage quantities indicated are the maximum permitted in any 50,000- square-foot area.
- The storage area shall be separated from the retail area with a 1-hour fireresistance-rated assembly.
- See Table 5104.3.2.