(a) Increase in the rated speed of a winding-drum machine is prohibited, except as permitted in (c).
(b) Where the alteration involves an increase in the rated speed, except as specified in (c), the following requirements shall be conformed to:
(1) The bottom runbys and the top clearances for cars and counterweights shall conform to 2.4.2 through 2.4.9.
(2) Horizontal clearances shall conform to Section 2.5.
(3) The car and counterweight buffers shall conform to Section 2.22, except that existing buffers, where retained, are not required to conform to 188.8.131.52.1(b), 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, and 18.104.22.168.
(4) Car doors or gates shall be provided at all car entrances. Where new car doors or gates are installed, they shall conform to Section 2.14, except 22.214.171.124.
(5) The car safety, the counterweight safety (where provided], and the governor shall conform to Sections 2.17 and 2.18, except that the pitch diameters of speed governor sheaves and governor tension sheaves are not required to conform to 2.18.7. Where the new rated speed is greater than 3.5 m/s (700 ft/min], compensating-rope tie-down shall be provided in compliance with 126.96.36.199.
(6) The capacity and loading shall conform to Section 2.16.
(7) The driving machine and sheaves shall conform to Section 2.24.
(8) The terminal stopping devices shall conform to Section 2.25.
(9) The operating devices and control equipment shall conform to Section 2.26, except that 188.8.131.52 through 184.108.40.206 shall apply only to the electrical wiring and equipment altered. Requirement 220.127.116.11 does not apply.
(10) Suspension means and the suspension member connection shall conform to Section 2.20, except as specified in 18.104.22.168.4.
(11) Car overspeed protection and unintended car movement protection shall conform to Section 2.19.
(c) Where the increase in rated speed does not exceed 10%, does not exceed 0.20 m/s (40 ft/min), and is a result of a power supply change, and the new motor speed cannot match the existing motor speed, the installation is not required to conform to (b), except that the new rated speed shall not
(1) exceed 0.75 m/s (150 ft/min] for Type A safeties
(2) exceed 1 m/s (200 ft/min) when spring buffers or elastomeric buffers are provided
Governors shall be adjusted to conform to 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199 (see also 188.8.131.52.3).
For inspection and test requirements, see 184.108.40.206.2(j).