// CODE SNIPPET
510.5 Incompatible Materials and Common Shafts
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Incompatible materials, as defined in the International Fire Code, shall not be exhausted through the same hazardous exhaust system. Hazardous exhaust systems shall not share common shafts with other duct systems, except where such systems are hazardous exhaust systems originating in the same fire area.
Exception: The provisions of this section shall not apply to laboratory exhaust systems where all of the following conditions apply:
- All of the hazardous exhaust ductwork and other laboratory exhaust within both the occupied space and the shafts are under negative pressure while in operation.
- The hazardous exhaust ductwork manifolded together within the occupied space must originate within the same fire area.
- Hazardous exhaust ductwork originating in different fire areas and manifolded together in a common shaft shall meet the provisions of Section 717.5.3, Exception 1, Item 1.1 of the International Building Code.
- Each control branch has a flow regulating device.
- Perchloric acid hoods and connected exhaust shall be prohibited from manifolding.
- Radioisotope hoods are equipped with filtration, carbon beds or both where required by the registered design professional.
- Biological safety cabinets are filtered.
- Each hazardous exhaust duct system shall be served by redundant exhaust fans that comply with either of the following:
- The fans shall operate simultaneously in parallel and each fan shall be individually capable of providing the required exhaust rate.
- Each of the redundant fans is controlled so as to operate when the other fan has failed or is shut down for servicing.
Related Code Sections
510.5 Exhaust Systems, Incompatible Materials and Common Shafts
Incompatible materials, as defined in the International Fire Code , shall not be exhausted through the same hazardous exhaust system. Hazardous ...
Mechanical Code 2015 of DuPage County, IL > 5 Exhaust Systems > 510 Hazardous Exhaust Systems > 510.5 Incompatible Materials and Common Shafts
5003.10.3.6 Hazardous Materials—General Provisions, Incompatible Materials
Incompatible materials shall not be transported on the same cart or truck ...
Fire Code 2015 of DuPage County, IL > 50 Hazardous Materials—General Provisions > 5003 General Requirements > 5003.10 Handling and Transportation > 5003.10.3 Carts and Trucks > 5003.10.3.6 Incompatible Materials
5004.2.2.2 Hazardous Materials—General Provisions, Incompatible Materials
Incompatible materials used in open systems shall be separated from each other in the secondary containment system ...
Fire Code 2015 of DuPage County, IL > 50 Hazardous Materials—General Provisions > 5004 Storage > 5004.2 Spill Control and Secondary Containment for Liquid and Solid Hazardous Materials > 5004.2.2 Secondary Containment for Hazardous Material Liquids and Solids > 5004.2.2.2 Incompatible Materials
5303.7.1 Compressed Gases, Incompatible Materials
containers, cylinders and tanks shall be separated from incompatible materials in accordance with Section 5003.9.8 ...
Fire Code 2015 of DuPage County, IL > 53 Compressed Gases > 5303 General Requirements > 5303.7 Separation From Hazardous Conditions > 5303.7.1 Incompatible Materials
5704.3.3.2 Flammable and Combustible Liquids, Incompatible Materials
Materials that will react with water or other liquids to produce a hazard shall not be stored in the same room with flammable and combustible liquids ...
Fire Code 2015 of DuPage County, IL > 57 Flammable and Combustible Liquids > 5704 Storage > 5704.3 Container and Portable Tank Storage > 5704.3.3 Indoor Storage > 5704.3.3.2 Incompatible Materials