1224.28.5 Hybrid Operating Room(s)
- A minimum clear floor area of 650 square feet (60.39 m2) is required for a hybrid operating room unless the imaging equipment requires a larger area.
- The minimum clear dimension shall be 24 feet (7315 mm) unless the requirements for the specific imaging equipment require a greater distance.
- If mobile storage units are used in lieu of fixed cabinets, the minimum clear dimension shall be available between such units when they are parked against a permanent partition.
If required, a control room shall be provided that accommodates the imaging system control equipment and the following requirements:
- The control room shall have a minimum clear floor area of 120 square feet (11.15 m2), which may include fixed work surfaces.
- The room shall be physically separated from the hybrid operating rooms with walls and a door.
- The room shall have viewing windows that provide for a full view of the patient and the surgical team.
- If the control room is adjacent to a restricted area, it must be physically separated from the restricted area with walls and a door.
If the imaging equipment emits ionizing radiation, protection shall be provided in accordance with Section 1220.127.116.11.
Hybrid operating rooms with intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging (iMRI) systems shall comply with the following:
- Space and configuration requirements in Section 1224.18.4, except the clearances shall meet the requirements of 118.104.22.168.
- The control room shall comply with Section 1224.18.4, Item 1.
- The anteroom shall comply with Section 122.214.171.124.
- Entry doors to iMRI hybrid rooms shall swing outward from inside the room.