1224.28.5 Hybrid Operating Room(s)
Hybrid operating rooms shall comply with the requirements of Section 1224.15 and comply with the requirements in this section.
Each hybrid operating room shall meet the space, clearance, and storage requirements for the imaging equipment contained in the room and the following:
- A minimum clear floor area of 650 square feet (60.39 m2) is required for a hybrid operating room unless the imaging equipment requires a larger area.
- The minimum clear dimension shall be 24 feet (7315 mm) unless the requirements for the specific imaging equipment require a greater distance.
- If mobile storage units are used in lieu of fixed cabinets, the minimum clear dimension shall be available between such units when they are parked against a permanent partition.
If required, a control room shall be provided that accommodates the imaging system control equipment and the following requirements:
- The control room shall have a minimum clear floor area of 120 square feet (11.15 m2), which may include fixed work surfaces.
- The room shall be physically separated from the hybrid operating rooms with walls and a door.
- The room shall have viewing windows that provide for a full view of the patient and the surgical team.
- If the control room is adjacent to a restricted area, it must be physically separated from the restricted area with walls and a door.
An imaging equipment room shall be provided for each hybrid operating room.
If the imaging equipment emits ionizing radiation, protection shall be provided in accordance with Section 1184.108.40.206.
Hybrid operating rooms with intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging (iMRI) systems shall comply with the following:
- Space and configuration requirements in Section 1224.18.4, except the clearances shall meet the requirements of 1220.127.116.11.
- The control room shall comply with Section 1224.18.4, Item 1.
- The anteroom shall comply with Section 118.104.22.168.
- Entry doors to iMRI hybrid rooms shall swing outward from inside the room.
Hybrid operating rooms with vascular imaging systems shall comply with Section 122.214.171.124.