The maximum height, in feet, of a building shall not exceed the limits specified in Table 504.3.
Exception: Towers, spires, steeples and other roof structures shall be constructed of materials consistent with the required type of construction of the building except where other construction is permitted by Section 1510.2.5. Such structures shall not be used for habitation or storage. The structures shall be unlimited in height where of noncombustible materials and shall not extend more than 20 feet (6096 mm) above the allowable building height where of combustible materials (see Chapter 15 for additional requirements).
|OCCUPANCY CLASSIFICATION||TYPE OF CONSTRUCTION|
|SEE FOOTNOTES||TYPE I||TYPE II||TYPE III||TYPE IV||TYPE V|
|A, B, E, F, M, S, U||NSb||UL||160||65||55||65||55||65||50||40|
|H-1, H-2, H-3, H-5||NSc, d||UL||160||65||55||65||55||65||50||40|
|I-1 Condition 1, I-3||NSd, e||UL||160||65||55||65||55||65||50||40|
|I-1 Condition 2, I-2||NSd, e, f||UL||160||65||55||65||55||65||50||40|
For SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm.
Note: UL = Unlimited; NS = Buildings not equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system; S = Buildings equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1; S13R = Buildings equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.2.
- See Chapters 4 and 5 for specific exceptions to the allowable height in this chapter.
- See Section 903.2 for the minimum thresholds for protection by an automatic sprinkler system for specific occupancies.
- New Group H occupancies are required to be protected by an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.2.5.
- The NS value is only for use in evaluation of existing building height in accordance with the Florida Building Code, Existing Building.
- New Group I-1 and I-3 occupancies are required to be protected by an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.2.6. For new Group I-1 occupancies Condition 1, see Exception 1 of Section 903.2.6.
- New and existing Group I-2 occupancies are required to be protected by an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.2.6 and the Florida Fire Prevention Code.
- For new Group I-4 occupancies, see Exceptions 2 and 3 of Section 903.2.6.
- New Group R occupancies are required to be protected by an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.2.8.