(a) Street wall location
In all Commercial Districts within the Core Subdistrict and areas outside of a subdistrict, the street wall shall be located on the street line of 125th Street and extend along the entire street frontage of the zoning lot up to at least the applicable minimum base height of the underlying district, or the height of the building, whichever is less.
The street wall location provisions of such Commercial Districts shall be modified, as follows:
(1) On Park Avenue, within 10 feet of its intersection with any street, the street wall may be located anywhere within 10 feet of the Park Avenue street line. However, to allow articulation of the street walls pursuant to the provisions of paragraph (b) of this Section, the street walls may be located anywhere within an area bounded by a street line, the street wall on Park Avenue and a line connecting these two lines 15 feet from their intersection.
(2) To allow articulation of street walls at the intersection of any two streets within the Special District, the street wall may be located anywhere within an area bounded by the two street lines and a line connecting such street lines at points 15 feet from their intersection.
(3) Recesses, not to exceed three feet in depth from the street line, shall be permitted on the ground floor where required to provide access to the building. Above the height of the second story and up to the applicable maximum base height, recesses are permitted for outer courts or balconies, provided that the aggregate width of such recesses does not exceed 30 percent of the width of the street wall at any level, and the depth of such recesses does not exceed five feet. No recesses shall be permitted within 20 feet of an adjacent building or within 30 feet of the intersection of two street lines, except in compliance with corner articulation rules.
(4) The street wall location and minimum street wall height provisions of this Section shall not apply to any existing buildings that are to remain on the zoning lot.
(5) For any development or enlargement that is partially within the Special Transit Land Use District and located directly over the planned Second Avenue subway line tunnel, the residential portion of such development or enlargement may be constructed pursuant to the R8A street wall requirements and the commercial portion of such development or enlargement may be constructed pursuant to the C4-4D street wall requirements in lieu of the requirements of this Section.
(6) The requirements of this Section shall apply within the Special Transit Land Use District except that, for the area of the Special Transit Land Use District that is also within the Special 125th Street District, a street wall of a development or enlargement located on the street line of a zoning lot need not exceed 15 feet if that portion of the development or enlargement is located directly over the planned Second Avenue subway line tunnel.
(b) Maximum height of building and setback
The following modifications of the underlying district regulations shall apply for C4-7 and C6-3 Districts within the Core Subdistrict and areas outside of a subdistrict:
(1) The minimum and maximum base height of the street wall and the maximum height of a building or other structure shall be as set forth in the following table:
MINIMUM BASE HEIGHT, MAXIMUM BASE HEIGHT AND MAXIMUM BUILDING HEIGHT
Street Wall Height (in feet)
Maximum Height of Building or Other Structure (in feet)
Minimum Base Height
Maximum Base Height
All portions of buildings or other structures that exceed a height of 85 feet in C4-7 and C6-3 Districts shall be set back at least 15 feet from the street line, except that such setback depth may include the depth of any permitted recess in the street wall, according to the provisions of paragraph (a) of Section 97-432 (Height and setback regulations in the Core Subdistrict and in areas outside of a subdistrict).
(2) Special regulations for certain C4-7 Districts
(i) For the area located within 50 feet of the 126th Street frontage and between 200 feet east of Adam Clayton Powell Boulevard and 150 feet west of Lenox Avenue/Malcolm X Boulevard, the height of any portion of a building or other structure shall be limited to 80 feet.
(ii) For zoning lots bounded by 125th Street, Park Avenue and 124th Street, the maximum height of a building or other structure shall be 330 feet.
(iii) For Lots 1 and 7501 on Block 1910, the requirements of City Environmental Quality Review (CEQR) Environmental Designation Number (E-102) have been modified, as set forth in the Technical Memorandum to the Final Environmental Impact Statement for CEQR Number 07DCP030M, dated July 18, 2008.
(3) In C6-3 Districts, the maximum length of any story located above a height of 85 feet shall not exceed 150 feet. Such length shall be measured by inscribing within a rectangle the outermost walls at the level of each story entirely above a height of 85 feet. No side of such rectangle shall exceed a width of 150 feet.