142-43 Height and Setback for Shoreline Adjacent Lots in Subarea A2
In Subarea A2, as shown on Map 1 (Special Inwood District — Subdistricts and Subareas) in the Appendix to this Chapter, for shoreline adjacent lots, the following height and setback regulations shall apply:
(a) Street wall location
The street wall location requirements of paragraph (b) of Section 35-651 shall apply to street frontages along and within 50 feet of Ninth Avenue, and the street wall requirements of paragraphs (a)(1) and (2) of Section 35-651 shall apply along all other street frontages of the zoning lot. For the purposes of applying such regulations, all street walls shall extend to at least the minimum base height set forth in paragraph (b) of this Section, or the height of the building, whichever is less. The street wall articulation provisions of paragraph (e) of Section 35-651 shall apply along all street frontages.
(b) Base height and setbacks
The minimum base height shall be 60 feet on all street frontages. Within R9A Districts, or C1 or C2 Districts mapped within R9A Districts, the maximum base height shall be 105 feet. Within R8 Districts, or C1 or C2 Districts mapped within R8 Districts, the maximum base height before setback shall be 105 feet if the building's maximum overall height does not exceed 155 feet, or 85 feet if a building is developed with a tower in accordance with the regulations of paragraph (e) of this Section.
At a height not lower than the minimum base height nor higher than the maximum base height specified for the applicable district, a setback with a minimum depth of 10 feet shall be provided from the street wall of the base. The provisions of paragraphs (c)(2) through (c)(4) of Section 23-662 (Maximum height of buildings and setback regulations) shall apply to such setbacks.
(c) Within 70 feet of the shoreline
Within 70 feet of the shoreline, the height of a building along 30 percent of the length of a zoning lot, as measured parallel to Ninth Avenue, shall be limited to a maximum height of 30 feet, and the height along the remaining 70 percent may rise to a maximum height of 85 feet.
(d) Maximum building height
The maximum building height shall be 155 feet, except where towers are provided in accordance with paragraph (e) of this Section.
(e) Optional tower regulations
For zoning lots that have a lot area of more than one acre, a "tower" shall be permitted above a height of 125 feet, provided that:
(1) the gross area of any story shall not exceed 9,000 square feet, except that any dormers provided within the setback area shall not be included in such gross area;
(2) the gross area of any story above 205 feet shall not exceed 90 percent of the gross area of the highest story that is located entirely below a height of 205 feet;
(3) no portion of such tower shall be located within 80 feet of the shoreline;
(4) the width of such tower shall not exceed 100 feet, as measured parallel to Ninth Avenue. Such width shall be measured in plan and shall include the total width of the combined lot coverage of all stories above 125 feet; and
(5) The maximum height of such tower shall not exceed 245 feet.
Zoning lots with a lot area in excess of 1.5 acres may contain a second tower, provided that the heights of the two towers differ by at least 50 feet from each other, and provided that the combined width of the towers does not exceed 140 feet, as measured parallel to Ninth Avenue. Such width shall be measured in plan and shall include the total width of the combined lot coverage of all stories above 125 feet.