A5.504.5 Hazardous Particulates and Chemical Pollutants
Install permanent entry-way systems measuring at least six feet in the primary direction of travel to capture dirt and particulates at entry-ways directly connected to the outdoors.
- Qualifying entryways are those that serve as regular entry points for building users.
- Acceptable entryway systems include, but are not limited to, permanently installed grates, grilles or slotted systems that allow cleaning underneath.
- Roll-out mats are acceptable only when maintained regularly by janitorial contractors as documented in service contract or by in-house staff as documented by written policies and procedures.
In rooms where activities produce hazardous fumes or chemicals, such as garages, janitorial or laundry rooms and copy or printing rooms, exhaust them and isolate them from their adjacent rooms.
- Exhaust each space with no air recirculation in accordance with ASHRAE 62.1, Table 6-4 to create negative pressure with respect to adjacent spaces with the doors to the room closed.
- For each space, provide self-closing doors and deck to deck partitions or a hard ceiling.
- Install low-noise, vented range hoods for all cooking appliances and in laboratory or other chemical mixing areas.