// CODE SNIPPET
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Hangers certified by a registered professional engineer to include all of the following shall be an acceptable alternative to the requirements of Section 9.1:
- Hangers shall be designed to support five times the weight of the water-filled pipe plus 250 lb (115 kg) at each point of piping support.
- These points of support shall be adequate to support the system.
- The spacing between hangers shall not exceed the value given for the type of pipe as indicated in Table 22.214.171.124(a) or Table 126.96.36.199(b).
- Hanger components shall be ferrous.
- Detailed calculations shall be submitted, when required by the reviewing authority, showing stresses developed in hangers, piping, and fittings, and safety factors allowed.
Shared support structures shall be certified by a registered professional engineer in accordance with 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206.
Sprinkler pipe and other distribution systems shall be permitted to be supported from a shared support structure designed to support five times the weight of water-filled sprinkler pipe and other supported distribution systems plus 250 lb (115 kg), based on the allowable ultimate stress.
Sprinkler pipe and other distribution systems shall be permitted to be supported from a shared support structure designed to support five times the weight of the water-filled sprinkler pipe plus 250 lb (115 kg), and one and one-half times the weight of all other supported distribution systems.
The building structure shall not be considered a shared support structure.
Systems that are incompatible with the fire sprinkler systems based on vibration, thermal expansion and contraction, or other factors shall not share support structures.
Other fasteners shall be permitted as part of a hanger assembly that has been tested, listed, and installed in accordance with the listing requirements.
Nonferrous components that have been proven by fire tests to be adequate for the hazard application, that are listed for this purpose, and that are in compliance with the other requirements of this section shall be acceptable.