R702.3 Gypsum Board and Gypsum Panel Products
Supports and fasteners used to attach gypsum board and gypsum panel products shall comply with Table R702.3.5. Gypsum sheathing shall be attached to exterior walls in accordance with Table R602.3(1). Gypsum board and gypsum panel products shall be applied at right angles or parallel to framing members. All edges and ends of gypsum board and gypsum panel products shall occur on the framing members, except those edges and ends that are perpendicular to the framing members. Interior gypsum board shall not be installed where it is directly exposed to the weather or to water.
GYPSUM BOARD OR
|MAXIMUM SPACING OF|
|SIZE OF NAILS FOR APPLICATION|
TO WOOD FRAMINGc
|Application without adhesive|
|3/8||Ceilingd||Perpendicular||16||7||12||13 gage, 11/4" long, 19/64" head; 0.098" diameter, 11/4" long, annular-ringed; or 4d cooler nail, 0.080" diameter, 13/8" long, 7/32" head.|
|1/2||Ceiling||Either direction||16||7||12||13 gage, 13/8" long, 19/64" head; 0.098" diameter, 11/4" long, annular-ringed; 5d cooler nail, 0.086" diameter, 15/8" long, 15/64" head; or gypsum board nail, 0.086" diameter, 1 5/8" long, 9/32" head.|
|5/8||Ceiling||Either direction||16||7||12||13 gage, 15/8" long, 19/64" head; 0.098" diameter, 13/8" long, annular-ringed; 6d cooler nail, 0.092" diameter, 17/8" long, 1/4" head; or gypsum board nail, 0.0915" diameter, 17/8" long, 19/64" head.|
|Type X at|
|Perpendicular||24||6||6||17/8" long 6d coated nails or equivalent drywall screws. Screws shall comply with Section R702.3.5.1|
|Wall||Either direction||24||8||12||13 gage, 15/8" long, 19/64" head; 0.098" diameter, 13/8" long, annular-ringed; 6d cooler nail, 0.092" diameter, 17/8" long, 1/4" head; or gypsum board nail, 0.0915" diameter, 17/8" long, 19/64" head.|
|Application with adhesive|
|3/8||Ceilingd||Perpendicular||16||16||16||Same as above for 3/8" gypsum board and gypsum panel products.|
|1/2 or 5/8||Ceiling||Either direction||16||16||16||Same as above for 1/2" and 5/8" gypsum board and gypsum panel products, respectively.|
|Ceiling||Perpendicular||16||16||16||Base ply nailed as above for 1/2" gypsum board and gypsum panel products; face ply installed with adhesive.|
For SI: 1 inch = 25.4 mm.
- For application without adhesive, a pair of nails spaced not less than 2 inches apart or more than 21/2 inches apart shall be permitted to be used with the pair of nails spaced 12 inches on center.
- Screws shall be in accordance with Section R702.3.5.1. Screws for attaching gypsum board or gypsum panel products to structural insulated panels shall penetrate the wood structural panel facing not less than 7/16 inch.
- Where cold-formed steel framing is used with a clinching design to receive nails by two edges of metal, the nails shall be not less than 5/8 inch longer than the gypsum board or gypsum panel product thickness and shall have ringed shanks. Where the cold-formed steel framing has a nailing groove formed to receive the nails, the nails shall have barbed shanks or be 5d, 131/2 gage, 15/8 inches long, 15/64-inch head for 1/2-inch gypsum board or gypsum panel product; and 6d, 13 gage, 17/8 inches long, 15/64-inch head for 5/8-inch gypsum board or gypsum panel product.
- Three-eighths-inch-thick single-ply gypsum board or gypsum panel product shall not be used on a ceiling where a water-based textured finish is to be applied, or where it will be required to support insulation above a ceiling. On ceiling applications to receive a water-based texture material, either hand or spray applied, the gypsum board or gypsum panel product shall be applied perpendicular to framing. Where applying a water-based texture material, the minimum gypsum board thickness shall be increased from 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch for 16-inch on center framing, and from 1/2 inch to 5/8 inch for 24-inch on center framing or 1/2-inch sag-resistant gypsum ceiling board shall be used.
Gypsum board and gypsum panel products shall be permitted on wood joists to create a horizontal diaphragm in accordance with Table R702.3.6. Gypsum board and gypsum panel products shall be installed perpendicular to ceiling framing members. End joints of adjacent courses of board and panels shall not occur on the same joist. The maximum allowable diaphragm proportions shall be 11/2:1 between shear resisting elements. Rotation or cantilever conditions shall not be permitted. Gypsum board or gypsum panel products shall not be used in diaphragm ceilings to resist lateral forces imposed by masonry or concrete construction. Perimeter edges shall be blocked using wood members not less than 2-inch by 6-inch (51 mm by 152 mm) nominal dimension. Blocking material shall be installed flat over the top plate of the wall to provide a nailing surface not less than 2 inches (51 mm) in width for the attachment of the gypsum board or gypsum panel product.
|MATERIAL||THICKNESS OF |
MATERIAL (min.) (inch)
|SPACING OF FRAMING |
MEMBERS (max.) (inch)
|SHEAR VALUEa, b|
(plf of ceiling)
FASTENER SIZEc, d
|Gypsum board||1/2||16 o.c.||90||5d cooler or wallboard nail;|
|15/8-inch long; 0.086-inch shank;|
|Gypsum board||1/2||24 o.c.||70||5d cooler or wallboard nail;|
|15/8-inch long; 0.086-inch shank;|
For SI: 1 inch = 25.4 mm, 1 pound per linear foot = 1.488 kg/m.
- Values are not cumulative with other horizontal diaphragm values and are for short-term loading caused by wind or seismic loading. Values shall be reduced 25 percent for normal loading.
- Values shall be reduced 50 percent in Seismic Design Categories D0, D1, D2 and E.
- 11/4-inch, No. 6 Type S or W screws shall be permitted to be substituted for the listed nails.
- Fasteners shall be spaced not more than 7 inches on center at all supports, including perimeter blocking, and not less than 3/8 inch from the edges and ends of the gypsum board.