The primary space conditioning system within each sleeping unit shall be provided with at least one programmable thermostat for the regulation of space temperature. The thermostat shall allow for, at a minimum, a 5-2 programmable schedule (weekdays/weekends) and be capable of providing at least two programmable setback periods per day.
Each additional system provided within the sleeping unit shall be provided with at least one adjustable thermostat for the regulation of temperature.
- Systems controlled by an occupant sensor that is configured to shut the system off when no occupant is sensed for a period of up to 30 minutes.
- Systems controlled solely by a manually operated timer configured to operate the system for no more than two hours.
- Zones with a full HVAC load demand not exceeding 3,400 Btu/h (1 kW) and having a manual shutoff switch located with ready access.
- Ductless heat pumps.
Each thermostat shall be capable of being set by adjustment or selection of sensors and configured as follows:
- When used to control heating only: 55°F to 75°F;
- When used to control cooling only: 70°F to 85°F;
- All other: 55°F to 85°F with an adjustable dead band configured to at least 5°F in accordance with Section C403.4.1.2.