- Existing Group R-3 occupancies converted to Group R-3.1 occupancies not housing bedridden clients, not housing nonambulatory clients above the first floor, and not housing clients above the second floor.
- Existing Group R-3 occupancies converted to Group R-3.1 occupancies housing only one bedridden client and complying with Section 418.104.22.168 of the California Building Code.
- Pursuant to Health and Safety Code, Section 13113, occupancies housing ambulatory children only, none of whom are mentally ill children or children with intellectual disabilities, and the buildings or portions thereof in which such children are housed are not more than two stories in height, and buildings or portions thereof housing such children have an automatic fire alarm system activated by approved smoke detectors.
- Pursuant to Health and Safety Code, Section 13143.6, occupancies licensed for protective social care which house ambulatory clients only, none of whom is a child (under the age of 18 years), or who is elderly (65 years of age or over).
When not used in accordance with area or height increases for automatic fire sprinklers allowed inSection 504.2 or 506.3 of the California Building Code, an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.2 shall be allowed in Group R-2.1 occupancies.
Attics not used for living purposes, storage or fuel-fired equipment shall be protected in accordance with one of the following:
- Attics protected throughout by a heat detector system arranged to activate the building fire alarm system in accordance with Section 907.2.10.
- Attics constructed of noncombustible materials.
- Attics constructed of fire-retardant-treated wood framing complying with Section 2303.2 of the California Building Code.
- The automatic sprinkler system shall be extended to provide protection throughout the attic space.