403.8 Group I Occupancies
The fire safety and evacuation plans required by Section 404 shall include a description of special staff actions. Plans shall include all of the following in addition to the requirements of Section 404.
- Location and number of patient sleeping rooms and operating rooms.
- Location of adjacent smoke compartments or refuge areas.
- Path of travel to adjacent smoke compartments.
- Location of special locking, delayed egress or access control arrangements.
- Location of elevators utilized for patient movement in accordance with the fire safety plan, where provided.
- The movement of patients to safe areas or to the exterior of the building is not required.
- Where emergency evacuation drills are conducted after visiting hours or where patients or residents are expected to be asleep, a coded announcement shall be an acceptable alternative to audible alarms.
Group I-3 occupancies shall be provided with 24-hour staffing. An employee shall be within three floors or 300 feet (91 440 mm) horizontal distance of the access door of each resident housing area. In Group I-3 Conditions 3, 4 and 5, as defined in Chapter 2, the arrangement shall be such that the employee involved can start release of locks necessary for emergency evacuation or rescue and initiate other necessary emergency actions within 2 minutes of an alarm.
Exception: An employee shall not be required to be within three floors or 300 feet (91 440 mm) horizontal distance of the access door of each resident housing area in areas in which all locks are unlocked remotely and automatically in accordance with Section 408.4 of the California Building Code.