// CODE SNIPPET
436.1 Group I-4 Special Provisions
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
- Basements or stories having floor levels located within 4 feet (1219 mm), measured vertically, from adjacent ground level at the level of exit discharge, provided the basement or story has exterior exit doors at that level.
- In buildings equipped with an automatic sprinkler system throughout, rooms used for kindergarten, first- and second-grade children or for day-care purposes may be located on the second story, provided there are at least two exterior exit doors, or other egress systems complying with Section 1017 with two exits, for the exclusive use of such occupants. Egress systems for the exclusive use of such occupants shall be maintained until exit discharge at grade is attained.
- 3.1. Group I-4 childcare facilities with children under the age of seven or containing more than 12 children per story shall not be located above the fourth floor; and
- 3.2. The entire story in which the Group I-4 child-care facility is located is equipped with an approved manual fire alarm and smoke-detection system. (See the Fire Code.) Actuation of an initiating device shall sound an audible alarm throughout the entire story. When a building fire alarm system is required by other provisions of this code or the Fire Code, the alarm system shall be connected to the building alarm system. An approved alarm signal shall sound at an approved location in the Group I-4 child-care facility to indicate a fire alarm or sprinkler flow condition in other portions of the building; and
- 3.3. Group I-4 child-care facilities, if more than 1,000 square feet (92.9 m2) in area, is divided into at least two compartments of approximately the same size by a smoke barrier with door openings protected by smoke- and draft-control assemblies having a fire-protection rating of not less than 20 minutes. Smoke barriers shall have a fire-resistive rating of not less than one hour. In addition to the requirements of Section 508.3.3, occupancy separations between Group I-4 child-care and other occupancies shall be constructed as smoke barriers. Door openings in the smoke barrier shall be tightfitting, with gaskets installed as required by Section 710, and shall be automatic closing by actuation of the automatic sprinklers, fire alarm or smoke-detection system.
- 3.4. Each compartment formed by the smoke barrier has not less than two exits or exit access doors, one of which is permitted to pass through the adjoining compartment; and
- 3.5. Where two or more exits or exit access are required at least one shall not share a common path of travel.
- 3.6. The building is equipped with an automatic sprinkler system throughout.
Related Code Sections
436.1 Appendix Chapter 4 Special Detailed Requirements Based on Use and Occupancy, Group I-4 Special Provisions
Rooms classified as Group I-4 shall not be located above or below the first story. Exceptions: Basements or stories having floor levels located ...
2017 LA City Fire Code > Appendix Chapter 4 Special Detailed Requirements Based on Use and Occupancy > 436 Group I-4 [SFM] > 436.1 Group I-4 Special Provisions
436.1 Special Detailed Requirements Based on Use and Occupancy, Group I-4 Special Provisions
Rooms classified as Group I-4 shall not be located above or below the first story. Exceptions: Basements or stories having floor levels ...
Los Angeles Building Code > 4 Special Detailed Requirements Based on Use and Occupancy > 436 Group I-4 [SFM] > 436.1 Group I-4 Special Provisions
308.6.1.1 Use and Occupancy Classification, Special Provisions
See Section 452.1.4 for daycares located above or below the first story ...
Los Angeles Building Code > 3 Use and Occupancy Classification > 308 Institutional Group I > 308.6 Institutional Group I-4, Day Care Facilities > 308.6.1 Classification as Group E > 308.6.1.1 Special Provisions
Section 408 Special Detailed Requirements Based on Occupancy and Use, Group I-3
Occupancies in Group I-3 shall comply with the provisions of Sections 408.1 through 408.11 and other applicable provisions of this code (see Section ...
Los Angeles Building Code > 4 Special Detailed Requirements Based on Occupancy and Use > 408 Group I-3
Section 510 General Building Heights and Areas, Special Provisions
a Group S-2 parking garage or building below from the buildings above in accordance with the special provisions in Sections 510.2, 510.3 or 510.8 ...