An approved fire safety and evacuation plan in accordance with Section 404 shall be prepared and maintained for Group E occupancies and for buildings containing both a Group E occupancy and an atrium. Group E occupancies shall comply with Sections 403.5.1 through 403.5.4.
[California Code of Regulations, Title 19, Division 1, §3.13(a)(1)] Fire Drills. (Group E Occupancies)
Every person and public officer managing, controlling, or in charge of any public, private, or parochial school, other than a two-year community college, shall cause the fire alarm signal to be sounded not less than once every calendar month at the elementary and intermediate levels, and not less than twice yearly at the secondary level in the manner prescribed in Section 907. A fire drill shall be held at the secondary level not less than twice every school year.
Each school principal, district superintendent or day nursery manager shall, in cooperation with the enforcing agency, prepare procedures to be followed in case of fire or other emergency. They should include the following:
- Posting of the telephone number of the fire department in the office and/or at the main switchboard.
- Assignment of a responsible person to call the fire department upon notification of any fire or activation of the alarm system for any reason other than fire drills.
- Posting in a conspicuous place in each classroom or assembly area a plan showing paths of travel to evacuate the room in case of emergency and including an alternate route.
- 4.1 Maintaining of order during evacuation.
- 4.2. Removal of roll call book and calling of roll when designated evacuation area is reached.