423.4 Group E Occupancies
In areas where the shelter design wind speed for tornados is 250 mph in accordance with Figure 304.2(1) of ICC 500, all Group E occupancies with an occupant load of 50 or more shall have a storm shelter constructed in accordance with ICC 500.
- Group E day care facilities.
- Group E occupancies accessory to places of religious worship.
- Buildings meeting the requirements for shelter design in ICC 500.
- The total occupant load of the classrooms, vocational rooms and offices in the Group E occupancy.
- The occupant load of any indoor assembly space that is associated with the Group E occupancy.
- Where a new building is being added on an existing Group E site, and where the new building is not of sufficient size to accommodate the required occupant capacity of the storm shelter for all of the buildings on the site, the storm shelter shall at a minimum accommodate the required occupant capacity for the new building.
- Where approved by the code official, the required occupant capacity of the shelter shall be permitted to be reduced by the occupant capacity of any existing storm shelters on the site.