// CODE SNIPPET
Section 406 Glass Replacement and Replacement Windows
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
The installation or replacement of glass shall be as required for new installations.
In Group R-2 or R-3 buildings containing dwelling units, window opening control devices complying with ASTM F 2090 shall be installed where an existing window is replaced and where all of the following apply to the replacement window:
- The window is operable;
- The window replacement includes replacement of the sash and the frame;
- The top of the sill of the window opening is at a height less than 36 inches (915 mm) above the finished floor;
- The window will permit openings that will allow passage of a 4-inch-diameter (102 mm) sphere when the window is in its largest opened position; and
- The vertical distance from the top of the sill of the window opening to the finished grade or other surface below, on the exterior of the building, is greater than 72 inches (1829 mm).
- Operable windows where the top of the sill of the window opening is located more than 75 feet (22860 mm) above the finished grade or other surface below, on the exterior of the room, space or building, and that are provided with window fall prevention devices that comply with ASTM F 2006.
- Operable windows with openings that are provided with window fall prevention devices that comply with ASTM F 2090.
Where windows are required to provide emergency escape and rescue openings in Group R-2 and R-3 occupancies, replacement windows shall be exempt from the requirements of Sections 1030.2, 1030.3 and 1030.5 of the International Building Code provided the replacement window meets the following conditions:
- The replacement window is the manufacturer's largest standard size window that will fit within the existing frame or existing rough opening. The replacement window shall be permitted to be of the same operating style as the existing window or a style that provides for an equal or greater window opening area than the existing window.
- The replacement of the window is not part of a change of occupancy.
Related Code Sections
Section 406 Prescriptive Compliance Method, Glass Replacement and Replacement Windows
The installation or replacement of glass shall be as required for new installations ...
Existing Building Code 2015 of Idaho > 4 Prescriptive Compliance Method > 406 Glass Replacement and Replacement Windows
1202.2 Historic Buildings, Replacement
in configuration, height, and size shall be permitted. Replacement glazing in hazardous locations shall comply with the safety glazing requirements ...