93-756 General Requirements for the High Line
For the portion of the High Line that is located within the boundary of Subdistrict F, the following provisions shall apply.
(a) General purpose
The High Line is intended to serve the following purposes:
(1) to serve as a continuation of the High Line public open space to the east and to the south of West 30th Street;
(2) to offer a pedestrian and passive open space experience similar to the High Line open space south of West 30th Street, through planting, materials and amenities, while taking into account the nature and character of the Western Rail Yard Subdistrict F; and
(3) to allow for connections to other public areas on the Western Rail Yard Subdistrict F.
(b) Permitted uses
Any permitted change of use for the High Line shall be made pursuant to the provisions of Section 93-10 (USE REGULATIONS).
(c) Core elements
The High Line open space shall provide amenities including, but not limited to, planting, seating and lighting designed to complement and be integrated with portions of the High Line south of West 30th Street in a manner that provides both visual and pedestrian continuity along the High Line open space network. The High Line open space shall not be subject to the design criteria for public access areas in Subdistrict F set forth in Section 93-77.
The site and landscape plans for the High Line approved pursuant to Section 93-78 (Site and Landscape Plans for Public Access Areas in Subdistrict F) shall make provision for access points to and from the High Line open space, including the public access provided in the Southwest Open Space pursuant to Section 93-753 (General requirements for the Southwest Open Space) and, subject to agreement, shall include support facilities necessary for the operation, maintenance and public enjoyment of the High Line open space located in Subdistrict F, or at other locations north of West 30th Street.
(d) Certification to modify requirements adjacent to the High Line
The Chairperson of the City Planning Commission may modify certain regulations on adjacent development sites 1 through 6, provided that the Chairperson certifies to the Commissioner of Buildings that such a change is necessary in order to provide access to the High Line open space or to accommodate facilities for the High Line open space, and that such change is compatible with the character of developed portions of the High Line south of West 30th Street.
The following regulations may be modified:
(1) The ground floor level requirements set forth in Section 93-14 (Ground Floor Level Requirements), where applicable;
(2) The unobstructed five foot separation between the High Line and a street wall on Sites 1, 5 and 6 required pursuant to paragraph (a) of Section 93-561 (General rules for Subdistrict F) in order to accommodate a pedestrian access way, open to the sky, between the High Line and such development sites. However, the required five foot street wall separation from the edge of the High Line shall not be modified;
(3) The street wall requirements for Site 6 set forth in Section 93-562 (Street wall regulations for certain streets), only as necessary to accommodate pedestrian access onto the High Line;
(4) The general requirements for the Western Open Space and the Southwest Open Space set forth in Section 93-75 (Publicly Accessible Open Spaces in Subdistrict F); and
(5) The general requirements for the 30th Street Corridor set forth in Section 93-76 (Publicly Accessible Private Streets and Pedestrian Ways in Subdistrict F)
Any application for such change shall be included in the application for the site and landscape plans submitted pursuant to the provisions of Section 93-78 (Site and Landscape Plans for Public Access Areas in Subdistrict F) for the High Line open space.