25-00 General Purposes and Definitions
The following regulations on permitted and required accessory off-street parking spaces and accessory bicycle parking spaces are adopted in order to provide needed space off the streets for parking in connection with new residences, to reduce traffic congestion resulting from the use of streets as places for storage of automobiles, to protect the residential character of neighborhoods, to provide for a higher standard of residential development within the City and thus to promote and protect public health, safety and general welfare.
Except as otherwise provided in this Section, the regulations of this Chapter on permitted or required accessory off-street parking spaces and accessory bicycle parking spaces apply to residences, community facility uses or commercial uses, as set forth in the provisions of the various Sections.
In all districts, the regulations of this Chapter applicable to community facility uses shall not apply to non-profit hospital staff dwellings. In lieu thereof, the regulations applicable to residences shall apply, as follows:
(a) the regulations of an R5 District shall apply to non-profit hospital staff dwellings located in R1, R2 and R3 Districts;
(b) the regulations of an R6 District shall apply to non-profit hospital staff dwellings located in R4 and R5 Districts; and
(c) the regulations of an R10 District shall apply to non-profit hospital staff dwellings located in R6 through R10 Districts.
Off-street parking in predominantly built-up areas shall be provided as set forth in Section 25-23.
Special regulations governing accessory off-street parking and loading in the Manhattan Core are set forth in Article I, Chapter 3, and special regulations governing accessory off-street parking in the Long Island City area, as defined in Section 16-02 (Definitions), are set forth in Article I, Chapter 6.
On any zoning lot containing residences in R6A, R6B, R7A, R7B, R7D, R7X, R8A, R8B, R8X, R9A, R9X, R10A or R10X Districts or their commercial equivalents, and on any zoning lot in other districts containing a Quality Housing building, all accessory off-street parking spaces shall comply with the provisions of Section 28-40 (PARKING FOR QUALITY HOUSING).
Special regulations applying in the waterfront area are set forth in Article VI, Chapter 2.
R7-3 Districts shall be governed by the accessory off-street parking regulations of an R7-2 District.
In Community District 14 in the Borough of Queens, R6 and R7 Districts shall be subject to the accessory off-street parking regulations of an R5 District, except that such requirement shall not apply to any development located within an urban renewal area established prior to August 14, 2008, or to income-restricted housing units as defined in Section 12-10 (DEFINITIONS).
For the purposes of this Section, the floor area of a building shall not include floor space used for accessory off-street parking spaces provided on any story located below 33 feet above the base plane.
25-028 Applicability of Regulations to Certain Community Facility Uses in Lower Density Growth Management Areas
(a) In lower density growth management areas other than R6 and R7 Districts in Community District 10, Borough of the Bronx, all zoning lots containing buildings with the following uses shall be subject to the provisions of paragraph (b) of this Section:
(1) ambulatory diagnostic or treatment health care facilities, as listed in Section 22-14 (Use Group 4), except where such zoning lot contains buildings used for hospitals, as defined in the New York State Hospital Code, or long-term care facilities; or
(2) child care services as listed under the definition of school in Section 12-10 (DEFINITIONS), except where such zoning lot contains buildings used for houses of worship or, for zoning lots that do not contain buildings used for houses of worship, where the amount of floor area used for child care services is equal to 25 percent or less of the amount of floor area permitted for community facility use on the zoning lot.
(b) All zoning lots that meet the conditions of paragraph (a) of this Section shall comply with the provisions of Section 25-624 (Special parking regulations for certain community facility uses in lower density growth management areas) in lieu of the following provisions:
(1) the parking location provisions of Sections 25-622 (Location of parking spaces in lower density growth management areas) and 25-623 (Maneuverability standards);
(2) the driveway and curb cut provisions of Sections 25-632 (Driveway and curb cut regulations in lower density growth management areas) and 25-634 (Curb cut regulations for community facilities);
(3) the open space provisions of Section 25-64 (Restrictions on Use of Open Space for Parking); and
(4) the screening provisions of Section 25-66 (Screening).
In addition, where the uses listed in paragraphs (a)(1) and (a)(2) of this Section result from a change of use, the provisions of Section 25-31 (General Provisions) shall be modified to require accessory off-street parking spaces for such uses. However, the requirements of Sections 25-31 and 25-624 may be modified for zoning lots containing buildings with such changes of use where the Chairperson of the City Planning Commission certifies to the Commissioner of Buildings that such modifications are necessary due to the location of existing buildings on the zoning lot, and such requirements have been complied with to the maximum extent feasible.
Special regulations applying in the flood zone are set forth in Article VI, Chapter 4.