// CODE SNIPPET
1206.4 General Installations Requirements
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Where the ESS disconnecting means is not within sight of the main electrical service disconnecting means, placards or directories shall be installed at the location of the main electrical service disconnecting means indicating the location of stationary storage battery system disconnecting means in accordance with NFPA 70.
Approved signs shall be provided on or adjacent to all entry doors for ESS rooms or areas and on enclosures of ESS cabinets and walk-in units located outdoors, on rooftops or in open parking garages. Signs designed to meet both the requirements of this section and NFPA 70 shall be permitted. The signage shall include the following or equivalent.
- "Energy Storage System", "Battery Storage System", "Capacitor Energy Storage System", or the equivalent.
- The identification of the electrochemical ESS technology present.
- "Energized electrical circuits"
- If water-reactive electrochemical ESS are present the signage shall include "APPLY NO WATER".
- Current contact information, including phone number, for personnel authorized to service the equipment and for fire mitigation personnel required by Section 1126.96.36.199.
Rooms, areas and walk-in units in which electrochemical ESS are located shall be secured against unauthorized entry and safeguarded in an approved manner. Security barriers, fences, landscaping, and other enclosures shall not inhibit the required air flow to or exhaust from the electrochemical ESS and its components.
Electrochemical ESS located in rooms or areas occupied by personnel not directly involved with maintenance, service and testing of the systems shall comply with the following:
- Electrochemical ESS located in occupied work centers shall be housed in locked noncombustible cabinets or other enclosures to prevent access by unauthorized personnel.
- Where electrochemical ESS are contained in cabinets in occupied work centers, the cabinets shall be located within 10 feet (3048 mm) of the equipment that they support.
- Cabinets shall include signage complying with Section 1206.4.8.
Related Code Sections
1206.4 Energy Systems, General Installations Requirements
electrochemical ESS shall be permitted to include the signage required at the time they were installed ...
California Fire Code 2019 > 12 Energy Systems > 1206 Electrical Energy Storage Systems (ESS) > 1206.4 General Installations Requirements
406.4 Equipment for General Use, General Installation Requirements
Receptacle outlets shall be located in branch circuits in accordance with Part III of Article 210. General installation requirements shall ...
California Electrical Code 2019 > 4 Equipment for General Use > 406 Receptacles, Cord Connectors, and Attachment Plugs (Caps) > 406.4 General Installation Requirements