Section 3206 General Fire Protection and Life Safety Features
GENERAL FIRE PROTECTION AND LIFE SAFETY REQUIREMENTS
|SIZE OF HIGH-PILED |
(see Sections 3206.2 and 3206.3)
|ALL STORAGE AREAS |
(See Sections 3206, 3207 and 3208)b
|SOLID-PILED STORAGE, SHELF |
STORAGE AND PALLETIZED STORAGE
(see Section 3207.3)
|Automatic fire |
(see Section 3206.4)
|Fire detection |
(see Section 3206.5)
(see Section 3206.7)
|Smoke and |
(see Section 3206.8)
|Maximum pile |
|I-IV||0—500||Not Requireda||Not Required||Not Required||Not Required||Not Required||Not Required||Not Required|
|501—2,500||Not Requireda||Yesg||Not Required||Not Required||120||40||100,000|
|2,501—12,000 Open to the public||Yes||Not Required||Not Required||Not Required||120||40||400,000|
|2,501—12,000 Not open to the public (Option 1)||Yes||Not Required||Not Requirede||Not Required||120||40||400,000|
|2,501—12,000 Not open to the public (Option 2)||Not Requireda||Yes||Yes||Yesh, i||120||30e||200,000|
|12,001—500,000||Yes||Not Required||Yes||Yesh, i||120||40||400,000|
|Greater than 500,000||Yes||Not Required||Yes||Yesh, i||120||40||400,000|
|High hazard||0—500||Not Requireda||Not Required||Not Requirede||Not Required||60||Not Required||Not Required|
|501—2,500 Open to the public||Yes||Not Required||Not Requirede||Not Required||60||30||75,000|
|501—2,500 Not open to the public (Option 1)||Yes||Not Required||Not Requirede||Not Required||60||30||75,000|
|501—2,500 Not open to the public (Option 2)||Not Requireda||Yesg||Yes||Yesh, i||60||20||50,000|
|2,501—300,000||Yes||Not Required||Yes||Yesh, i||60||30||75,000|
|Greater than 300,000f||Yes||Not Required||Yes||Yesh, i||60||30||75,000|
For SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm, 1 cubic foot = 0.02832 m3, 1 square foot = 0.0929 m2.
- Where automatic sprinklers are required for reasons other than those in Chapter 32, the portion of the sprinkler system protecting the high-piled storage area shall be designed and installed in accordance with Sections 3207 and 3208.
- For aisles, see Section 3206.10.
- Piles shall be separated by aisles complying with Section 3206.10.
- For storage in excess of the height indicated, special fire protection shall be provided in accordance with Note f where required by the fire code official. See Chapters 51 and 57 for special limitations for aerosols and flammable and combustible liquids, respectively.
- For storage exceeding 30 feet in height, Option 1 shall be used.
- Special fire protection provisions including, but not limited to, fire protection of exposed steel columns; increased sprinkler density; additional in-rack sprinklers, without associated reductions in ceiling sprinkler density; or additional fire department hose connections shall be provided where required by the fire code official.
- Not required where an automatic fire-extinguishing system is designed and installed to protect the high-piled storage area in accordance with Sections 3207 and 3208.
- Not required where storage areas with an exit access travel distance of 250 feet (76 200 mm) or less are protected by either early suppression fast response (ESFR) sprinkler systems or control mode special application sprinklers with a response time index of 50 (m • s)1/2 or less that are listed to control a fire in the stored commodities with 12 or fewer sprinklers, installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.
- Not required in frozen food warehouses used solely for storage of Class I and II commodities where protected by an approved automatic sprinkler system.
Where a building contains multiple high-piled storage areas, the aggregate of all high-piled storage areas shall be used for the application of Table 3206.2 unless the high-piled storage areas are separated in accordance with one of the following:
- High-piled storage areas separated by fire barriers with a minimum fire-resistance-rating of 1 hour constructed in accordance with Section 707 of the California Building Code.
- In buildings equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1, high-piled storage areas separated by 100 feet (30 480 mm) or more. The area providing the separation shall not contain high-piled combustible storage.
High-piled storage areas classified as Class I through IV not separated from high-piled storage areas classified as high hazard shall utilize the aggregate of all high-piled storage areas as high hazard for the purposes of the application of Table 3206.2. Multiple class high-piled storage areas meeting the separation requirements in Section 3206.3.2 shall be considered as separated. The fire safety features in Table 3206.2 shall be extended beyond the higher-hazard storage area in accordance with Section 3206.2.1.
Exception: Where fire apparatus access roads cannot be installed because of topography, railways, waterways, nonnegotiable grades or other similar conditions, the fire code official is authorized to require additional fire protection.
- The opposite exterior wall faces a fire apparatus access road.
- The opposite exterior wall is provided with fire department access doors.
- The entire interior surface of the exterior wall is less than 150 feet (45 720 mm) away from a fire department access door.
- The building is equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.
FIRE DEPARTMENT ACCESS DOOR
DO NOT BLOCK
The lettering shall be in a contrasting color to the background. Letters shall have a minimum height of 2 inches (51 mm) with a minimum stroke of 3/8 inch (10 mm).
The required fire department access doors shall be distributed such that the lineal distance between adjacent fire department access doors does not exceed 125 feet (38 100 mm) measured center to center.
Aisles providing access to exits and fire department access doors shall be provided in high-piled storage areas exceeding 500 square feet (46 m2), in accordance with Sections 3206.10.1 through 3206.10.3. Aisles separating storage piles or racks shall comply with NFPA 13. Aisles shall comply with Chapter 10.
Aisles in sprinklered buildings shall be not less than 44 inches (1118 mm) wide. Aisles shall be not less than 96 inches (2438 mm) wide in high-piled storage areas exceeding 2,500 square feet (232 m2) in area, that are accessible to the public and designated to contain high-hazard commodities.
- Aisles in high-piled storage areas exceeding 2,500 square feet (232 m2) in area, that are open to the public and designated to contain high-hazard commodities, and that are protected by a sprinkler system designed for multiple-row racks of high-hazard commodities, shall be not less than 44 inches (1118 mm) wide.
- Aisles that are in high-piled storage areas exceeding 2,500 square feet (232 m2) in area, not open to the public and protected by a sprinkler system designed for multiple-row racks, shall be not less than 24 inches (610 mm) wide.