// CODE SNIPPET
34.5 General Fire Protection
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
High-expansion foam systems installed in addition to automatic sprinklers shall be installed in accordance with NFPA 11 except where modified by other requirements in this chapter.
High-expansion foam used to protect idle pallets shall have a fill time of not more than 4 minutes.
Where 11/2 in. (38 mm) hose lines are available to reach all portions of areas with Class A fire loads, up to one-half of the portable fire extinguishers required by Section 13.6 shall be permitted to be omitted.
At locations without public hydrants, or where hydrants are not within 250 ft (75 m), private hydrants shall be installed in accordance with Section 13.5.
Arrangements shall be made to allow rapid entry into the premises by the municipal fire department, police department, or other authorized personnel in case of fire or other emergency.
Due to the unique nature of storage fires and the hazards associated with fighting such fires, facility emergency personnel shall be trained to have knowledge of the following:
- Pile and building collapse potential during fire-fighting and mop-up operations due to sprinkler water absorption, use of hose streams, and the undermining of piles by fire that is likely to cause material or piles to fall (especially roll tissue paper), resulting in injury
- Operation of sprinkler systems and water supply equipment
- Location of the controlling sprinkler valves so that the correct sprinkler system can be turned on or off as necessary
- Correct operation of emergency smoke and heat vent systems where they have been provided
- Use of material-handling equipment while sprinklers are operating to effect final extinguishment
- Procedure for summoning outside aid immediately in an emergency
- Maintenance of the security features of the premises
- Operation of foam systems, evacuation procedures, and safety precautions during all foam operations
Local waterflow alarm service shall be permitted when recorded guard service also is provided.
Security service, where provided, shall comply with NFPA 601.
Related Code Sections
31.3.2 Forest Products and Biomass Feedstocks, General Fire Protection
to accumulate in a quantity or location that constitutes an undue fire hazard ...
Fire Code 2018 of West Virginia > 31 Forest Products and Biomass Feedstocks > 31.3 Protection of Storage of Forest Products > 31.3.2 General Fire Protection
34.5 General Storage, General Fire Protection
used to protect idle pallets shall have a fill time of not more than 4 minutes ...
220.127.116.11 General Storage, General Fire Protection
Where high-expansion foam systems are installed, they shall be automatic in operation and shall be in accordance with NFPA 11, except when modified ...
Fire Code 2018 of West Virginia > 34 General Storage > 34.7 Protection of Rack Storage > 34.7.3 Storage Arrangement > 18.104.22.168 General Fire Protection
34.5.6 General Storage, Security Service
Security service, where provided, shall comply with NFPA 601 ...
Fire Code 2018 of West Virginia > 34 General Storage > 34.5 General Fire Protection > 34.5.6 Security Service
22.214.171.124 General Storage, Portable Fire Extinguishers
Portable fire extinguishers shall be provided in accordance with Section 13.6, unless 126.96.36.199.2 applies ...
Fire Code 2018 of West Virginia > 34 General Storage > 34.5 General Fire Protection > 34.5.3 Manual Protection > 188.8.131.52 Portable Fire Extinguishers