A gas vent shall terminate in accordance with one of the following:
- Gas vents that are 12 inches (305 mm) or less in size and located not less than 8 feet (2438 mm) from a vertical wall or similar obstruction shall terminate above the roof in accordance with Figure 503.6.4.
- Gas vents that are over 12 inches (305 mm) in size or are located less than 8 feet (2438 mm) from a vertical wall or similar obstruction shall terminate not less than 2 feet (610 mm) above the highest point where they pass through the roof and not less than 2 feet (610 mm) above any portion of a building within 10 feet (3048 mm) horizontally.
- As provided for industrial appliances in Section 503.2.2.
- As provided for direct-vent systems in Section 503.2.3.
- As provided for appliances with integral vents in Section 503.2.4.
- As provided for mechanical draft systems in Section 503.3.3.
- As provided for ventilating hoods and exhaust systems in Section 503.3.4.
|ROOF SLOPE||H (min) ft|
|Flat to 6/12||1.0|
|Over 6/12 to 7/12||1.25|
|Over 7/12 to 8/12||1.5|
|Over 8/12 to 9/12||2.0|
|Over 9/12 to 10/12||2.5|
|Over 10/12 to 11/12||3.25|
|Over 11/12 to 12/12||4.0|
|Over 12/12 to 14/12||5.0|
|Over 14/12 to 16/12||6.0|
|Over 16/12 to 18/12||7.0|
|Over 18/12 to 20/12||7.5|
|Over 20/12 to 21/12||8.0|
For SI: 1 inch = 25.4 mm, 1 foot = 304.8 mm.
TERMINATION LOCATIONS FOR GAS VENTS WITH
LISTED CAPS 12 INCHES OR LESS IN SIZE
AT LEAST 8 FEET FROM A VERTICAL WALL
Decorative shrouds shall not be installed at the termination of gas vents except where such shrouds are listed for use with the specific gas venting system and are installed in accordance with manufacturer's installation instructions.