// CODE SNIPPET
E.5 Gas Service Piping Connections
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Gas service piping connections shall comply with the following:
- Gas service piping shall be fitted with a gas service line valve, the valve located on the supply side of the meter and service regulator, if a service regulator is required. If a plug-type valve is used, it shall be constructed so as to prevent the core from being blown out by the pressure of the gas. In addition, it shall be of a type capable of being locked in the off position by the local gas utility. When the gas service line valve is inside the building, it shall be in an accessible location within 2 feet (610 mm) of the point where the gas service connection enters the building or at such other location as may be permitted by the commissioner. Where the gas service connection is installed through a building wall below ground, it shall be protected with a wall sleeve extending at least 4 inches (102 mm) beyond the outer side of the wall and at least 1 inch (25 mm) beyond the inner side of the wall. The sleeve shall be sealed at both ends to prevent the entry of water and gas. Gas service connections, installed through ground slab construction, shall be protected with a floor sleeve sealed at both ends to prevent the entry of water and gas. The sleeve shall extend at least 4 inches (102 mm) above the floor, and shall be installed as specified by the utility company providing the service. It shall terminate at least 4 inches (102 mm) outside the building.
- In all high-pressure areas, the utility company providing the service may inspect the gas service line valve and regulator in accordance with the provisions of 16 NYCRR Part 255 in addition to the department in accordance with Section 406 of this code.
- No gas service shall enter a structure at a horizontal distance of less than 10 feet (3048 mm) from the cellar termination of a stairway, nor shall any gas meters or gas regulators be located less than 10 feet (3048 mm) from such stairway termination. Where such services, meters and regulators are separated from the stairway termination by a permanent partition or wall having a fire-resistance rating of at least 1 hour, the foregoing shall not apply. Unless forbidden by other provisions of this code, locations under a stairway are exempt from this requirement.
- When the structure is erected on fill or on piles, provision shall be made to preclude possible damage to the gas service piping caused by settlement.
- The installation of gas service piping shall be made in accordance with the requirements of the utility corporation providing the service as regulated by the provisions of 16 NYCRR Part 255. Further, such installation shall meet the requirements of the department.
- Gas service piping outside a structure shall be installed not less than 24 inches (610 mm) below grade, except that a lesser distance of not less than 18 inches (457 mm) may be permitted, provided the piping is adequately protected in accordance with the requirements of this code and the utility corporation supplying service, and the piping is not located below a driveway. Any piping that is exposed to outdoor temperatures or installed underground with a cover of less than 2 feet (610 mm) shall be protected against frost, except that frost protection may be omitted in areas where the utility company certifies that dry gas is being distributed.
Related Code Sections
E.5 Meters and Gas Service Piping, Gas Service Piping Connections
Gas service piping connections shall comply with the following: Gas service piping shall be fitted with a gas service line valve, the valve located ...
Reference Standard 16 Plumbing and Gas Piping [PDF] (page 5)
Requirements for Gas Piping Gas Service Piping Connections Gas Regulator and Gas Regulator Vent Outlets Outside Gas Cut-Off Gas Meter Location Gas ...
Reference Standard 16 Plumbing and Gas Piping [PDF] (page 67)
shall be as required by this section, section C26-1606.1 and section C26-1606.4 (d). ***Local Law 54-1970 **P115.2 Gas Service Piping Connections ...
Appendix E Meters and Gas Service Piping
-family dwellings, since the gas meter is available for continuous supervision. E.5 Gas service piping connections. Gas service ...
627.3 Specific Appliances, Connection of Gas Engine-Powered Air Conditioners
To protect against the effects of normal vibration in service, gas engines shall not be rigidly connected to the gas supply piping. Where units ...
NYC Fuel Gas Code 2014 > 6 Specific Appliances > 627 Air Conditioning Appliances > 627.3 Connection of Gas Engine-Powered Air Conditioners