// CODE SNIPPET
E.3 Gas Meter Location
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Gas meter location shall comply with the following:
- When located inside the building, meters shall be located as near as practicable to the point of entrance of the service and, where possible, the meters shall be located in the cellar or basement unless otherwise permitted by the commissioner. The meter location shall be clean, dry, and free of refuse, steam or chemical fumes and located not less than 3 feet (914 mm) from any source of ignition or any source of heat which might cause damage to the meter. Meters shall be adequately protected against extreme cold or heat and shall be readily accessible for reading and inspection. The area in which the meter is located shall be properly ventilated as per Section E.4. Notwithstanding the foregoing, outside meter installation shall be permitted in areas where the utility company certifies that dry gas is being distributed.
- No gas meter, other than the replacement of an existing meter shall be located in any boiler room or other room or space containing a heating boiler, in any stair hall, nor in any public hall above the cellar or above the lowest story if there is no cellar. However, where there is an existing gas meter located in any boiler room or other room or space containing a heating boiler, one additional gas meter may be installed in such room or space, provided such additional gas meter is installed adjacent to the existing gas meter and is used in conjunction with the supply of gas for a gas-fired heating boiler or a gas-fired water heater used as a central source of supply of heat or hot water for the tenants. Such additional gas meter may be installed only upon the condition that space heaters or hot water appliances in the tenant spaces are eliminated.
- Gas meter rooms, when provided, shall at all times be kept clear of all rubbish; and shall not be used in any way for storage purposes, including material or equipment of any kind. A legible sign reading "Gas meter room—No storage permitted" shall be permanently and conspicuously posted on the exterior of the meter room door, except that the sign may be posted on the interior of the meter room door in Occupancy Group R-3. The lettering of such signs shall be of bold type at least 1 inch (25 mm) in height and shall be properly spaced to provide good legibility. The lettering and background shall be of contrasting colors. Where gas meters and related equipment are not located in a separate room but are located in an open floor area, no combustible material shall be stored or kept within 5 feet (1524 mm) of such equipment; nor shall the gas meter be within 3 feet (914 mm) of any heating boiler or sources of ignition and, except Occupancy Group R-3, there shall be a physical barrier required if the room is also used for storage purposes or the like.
- The installation of gas meter piping shall be made in accordance with the requirements of this code and the local utility company.
- Piping containing gas with a pressure exceeding 1/2 psig (3.4 kPa gauge) and the gas service pressure regulator which may be subjected to accidental vehicular impact shall be suitably protected.
Related Code Sections
E.3 Meters and Gas Service Piping, Gas Meter Location
Gas meter location shall comply with the following: When located inside the building, meters shall be located as near as practicable to the point ...
Reference Standard 16 Plumbing and Gas Piping [PDF] (page 69)
meter located in any boiler room or other room or space containing a heating boiler, one additional gas meter may be installed in such room or space ...
Appendix E Meters and Gas Service Piping
in the event of diaphragm failure. E.3 Gas meter location. Gas meter location shall comply with the following: 1. When located ...
Reference Standard 16 Plumbing and Gas Piping [PDF] (page 77)
) Fresh air inlets, P108.5 Funnel drains, P104.19 G Gap, air, P107.18(1) Garbage can washers, P104.14 Gas meter, location, P115.6 outside installation ...
Article 15 Plumbing and Gas Piping [PDF] (page 31)
a portable key over the operating nut of the valve or cock. (14.13.3). §C26-1325.0 Gas Meter Location.-Meters shall be located as near as practicable ...