2006.11 Fuel Spill Prevention and Procedures
The fueling-system operator shall establish procedures to follow in the event of a fuel spill. These procedures shall be comprehensive and shall provide for all of the following:
- Upon observation of a fuel spill, the aircraft-fueling operator shall immediately stop the delivery of fuel by releasing hand pressure from the fuel flow-control valve.
- Failure of the fuel control valve to stop the continued spillage of fuel shall be cause for the activation of the appropriate emergency fuel shutoff device.
- A supervisor for the fueling-system operator shall respond to the fuel spill area immediately.
The fire department shall be notified of any fuel spill that is considered a hazard to people or property or which meets one or more of the following criteria:
- Any dimension of the spill is greater than 10 feet (3048 mm).
- The spill area is greater than 50 square feet (4.65 m2).
- The fuel flow is continuous in nature.