// CODE SNIPPET
2308.11.3 Framing and Connection Details
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Where the height of a required braced wall panel extending from foundation to floor above varies more than 4 feet (1219 mm), the following construction shall be used:
- Where the bottom of the footing is stepped and the lowest floor framing rests directly on a sill bolted to the footings, the sill shall be anchored as required in Section 2308.3.3.
- Where the lowest floor framing rests directly on a sill bolted to a footing not less than 8 feet (2438 mm) in length along a line of bracing, the line shall be considered to be braced. The double plate of the cripple stud wall beyond the segment of footing extending to the lowest framed floor shall be spliced to the sill plate with metal ties, one on each side of the sill and plate. The metal ties shall not be less than 0.058 inch [1.47 mm (16 galvanized gage)] by 11/2 inches (38 mm) wide by 48 inches (1219 mm) with eight 16d common nails on each side of the splice location (see Figure 2308.11.3.2). The metal tie shall have a minimum yield of 33,000 pounds per square inch (psi) (227 MPa).
- Where cripple walls occur between the top of the footing and the lowest floor framing, the bracing requirements for a story shall apply.
Openings in horizontal diaphragms with a dimension perpendicular to the joist that is greater than 4 feet (1219 mm) shall be constructed in accordance with the following:
- Blocking shall be provided beyond headers.
- Metal ties not less than 0.058 inch [1.47 mm (16 galvanized gage)] by 11/2 inches (38 mm) wide with eight 16d common nails on each side of the header-joist intersection shall be provided (see Figure 2308.11.3.3). The metal ties shall have a minimum yield of 33,000 psi (227 MPa).