Section R406 Foundation Waterproofing and Dampproofing
Except where required by Section R406.2 to be waterproofed, foundation walls that retain earth and enclose interior spaces and floors below grade shall be dampproofed from the higher of (a) the top of the footing or (b) 6 inches (152 mm) below the top of the basement floor, to the finished grade. Masonry walls shall have not less than 3/8-inch (9.5 mm) Portland cement parging applied to the exterior of the wall. The parging shall be dampproofed in accordance with one of the following:
- Bituminous coating.
- Three pounds per square yard (1.63 kg/m2) of acrylic modified cement.
- One-eighth-inch (3.2 mm) coat of surface-bonding cement complying with ASTM C887.
- Any material permitted for waterproofing in Section R406.2.
- Other approved methods or materials.
Exception: Parging of unit masonry walls is not required where a material is approved for direct application to the masonry.
In areas where a high water table or other severe soil-water conditions are known to exist, exterior foundation walls that retain earth and enclose interior spaces and floors below grade shall be waterproofed from the higher of (a) the top of the footing or (b) 6 inches (152 mm) below the top of the basement floor, to the finished grade. Walls shall be waterproofed in accordance with one of the following:
- Two-ply hot-mopped felts.
- Fifty-five-pound (25 kg) roll roofing.
- Six-mil (0.15 mm) polyvinyl chloride.
- Six-mil (0.15 mm) polyethylene.
- Forty-mil (1 mm) polymer-modified asphalt.
- Sixty-mil (1.5 mm) flexible polymer cement.
- One-eighth-inch (3 mm) cement-based, fiber-reinforced, waterproof coating.
- Sixty-mil (1.5 mm) solvent-free liquid-applied synthetic rubber.
All joints in membrane waterproofing shall be lapped and sealed with an adhesive compatible with the membrane.
Exception: Organic-solvent-based products such as hydrocarbons, chlorinated hydrocarbons, ketones and esters shall not be used for ICF walls with expanded polystyrene form material. Use of plastic roofing cements, acrylic coatings, latex coatings, mortars and pargings to seal ICF walls is permitted. Cold-setting asphalt or hot asphalt shall conform to Type C of ASTM D449. Hot asphalt shall be applied at a temperature of less than 200°F (93°C).