[F] 415.6 Fire Separation Distance
Group H occupancies shall be located on property in accordance with the other provisions of this chapter. In Groups H-2 and H-3, not less than 25 percent of the perimeter wall of the occupancy shall be an exterior wall.
- Liquid use, dispensing and mixing rooms having a floor area of not more than 500 square feet (46.5 m2) need not be located on the outer perimeter of the building where they are in accordance with the International Fire Code and NFPA 30.
- Liquid storage rooms having a floor area of not more than 1,000 square feet (93 m2) need not be located on the outer perimeter where they are in accordance with the International Fire Code and NFPA 30.
- Spray paint booths that comply with the International Fire Code need not be located on the outer perimeter.
Group H-1 occupancies shall be set back not less than 75 feet (22 860 mm) and not less than required by the International Fire Code.
Exception: Fireworks manufacturing buildings separated in accordance with NFPA 1124.
|A DETACHED BUILDING IS REQUIRED WHERE THE QUANTITY OF MATERIAL EXCEEDS THAT LISTED HEREIN|
|Material||Class||Solids and Liquids (tons)a, b||Gases (cubic feet)a, b|
|Explosives||Division 1.1||Maximum Allowable Quantity||Not Applicable|
|Division 1.2||Maximum Allowable Quantity|
|Division 1.3||Maximum Allowable Quantity|
|Division 1.4||Maximum Allowable Quantity|
|Division 1.5||Maximum Allowable Quantity|
|Division 1.6||Maximum Allowable Quantity|
|Oxidizers||Class 4||Maximum Allowable Quantity||Maximum Allowable Quantity|
|Unstable (reactives) detonable||Class 3 or 4||Maximum Allowable Quantity||Maximum Allowable Quantity|
|Oxidizer, liquids and solids||Class 3||1,200||Not Applicable|
|Class 2||2,000||Not Applicable|
|Organic peroxides||Detonable||Maximum Allowable Quantity||Not Applicable|
|Class I||Maximum Allowable Quantity||Not Applicable|
|Class II||25||Not Applicable|
|Class III||50||Not Applicable|
|Unstable (reactives) nondetonable||Class 3||1||2,000|
|Water reactives||Class 3||1||Not Applicable|
|Class 2||25||Not Applicable|
|Pyrophoric gases||Not Applicable||Not Applicable||2,000|
For SI: 1 ton = 906 kg, 1 cubic foot = 0.02832 m3, 1 pound = 0.454 kg.
- For materials that are detonable, the distance to other buildings or lot lines shall be in accordance with Section 415.6 of this code or Chapter 56 of the International Fire Code based on trinitrotoluene (TNT) equivalence of the material, whichever is greater.
- "Maximum Allowable Quantity" means the maximum allowable quantity per control area set forth in Table 307.1(1).
- Limited to Division 1.4 materials and articles, including articles packaged for shipment, that are not regulated as an explosive under Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATF) regulations or unpackaged articles used in process operations that do not propagate a detonation or deflagration between articles, provided that the net explosive weight of individual articles does not exceed 1 pound.