// CODE SNIPPET
Section 404 Fire Safety, Evacuation and Lockdown Plans
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Fire evacuation plans shall include the following:
- Emergency egress or escape routes and whether evacuation of the building is to be complete by selected floors or areas only or with a defend-in-place response.
- Procedures for employees who must remain to operate critical equipment before evacuating.
- Procedures for the use of elevators to evacuate the building where occupant evacuation elevators complying with Section 3008 of the International Building Code are provided.
- Procedures for assisted rescue for persons unable to use the general means of egress unassisted.
- Procedures for accounting for employees and occupants after evacuation has been completed.
- Identification and assignment of personnel responsible for rescue or emergency medical aid.
- The preferred and any alternative means of notifying occupants of a fire or emergency.
- The preferred and any alternative means of reporting fires and other emergencies to the fire department or designated emergency response organization.
- Identification and assignment of personnel who can be contacted for further information or explanation of duties under the plan.
- A description of the emergency voice/alarm communication system alert tone and preprogrammed voice messages, where provided.
Fire safety plans shall include the following:
- The procedure for reporting a fire or other emergency.
- 2.1. Procedures for notifying occupants, including areas with a private mode alarm system.
- 2.2. Procedures for occupants under a defend-in-place response.
- 2.3. Procedures for evacuating occupants, including those who need evacuation assistance.
- 3.1. The occupancy assembly point.
- 3.2. The locations of fire hydrants.
- 3.3. The normal routes of fire department vehicle access.
- 4.1. Exits.
- 4.2. Primary evacuation routes.
- 4.3. Secondary evacuation routes.
- 4.4.1. Areas of refuge.
- 4.4.2. Exterior areas for assisted rescue.
- 4.5. Refuge areas associated with smoke barriers and horizontal exits.
- 4.6. Manual fire alarm boxes.
- 4.7. Portable fire extinguishers.
- 4.8. Occupant-use hose stations.
- 4.9. Fire alarm annunciators and controls.
- A list of major fire hazards associated with the normal use and occupancy of the premises, including maintenance and housekeeping procedures.
- Identification and assignment of personnel responsible for maintenance of systems and equipment installed to prevent or control fires.
- Identification and assignment of personnel responsible for maintenance, housekeeping and controlling fuel hazard sources.
Lockdown plans shall include the following:
- Identification of individuals authorized to issue a lockdown order.
- Security measures used during normal operations, when the building is occupied, that could adversely affect egress or fire department operations.
- A description of identified emergency and security threats addressed by the plan, including specific lockdown procedures to be implemented for each threat condition.
- 4.1. The means of notifying occupants of a lockdown event, which shall be distinct from the fire alarm signal.
- 4.2. Identification of each door or other access point that will be secured.
- 4.3. A description of the means or methods used to secure doors and other access points.
- 4.4. A description of how locking means and methods are in compliance with the requirements of this code for egress and accessibility.
- Procedures for reporting to the fire department any lockdown condition affecting egress or fire department operations.
- Procedures for determining and reporting the presence or absence of occupants to emergency response agencies during a lockdown.
- Means for providing two-way communication between a central location and each area subject to being secured during a lockdown.
- Identification of the prearranged signal for terminating the lockdown.
- Identification of individuals authorized to issue a lockdown termination order.
- Procedures for unlocking doors and verifying that the means of egress has been returned to normal operations upon termination of the lockdown.
- Training procedures and frequency of lockdown plan drills.
Fire safety and evacuation plans shall be reviewed or updated annually or as necessitated by changes in staff assignments, occupancy or the physical arrangement of the building.
Fire safety and evacuation plans shall be available in the workplace for reference and review by employees, and copies shall be furnished to the fire code official for review on request.