// CODE SNIPPET
7.2.9 Fire Escape Ladders
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Fire escape ladders complying with 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52 shall be permitted in the means of egress only where providing one of the following:
- Access to unoccupied roof spaces as permitted in 184.108.40.206.4
- Second means of egress from storage elevators as permitted in Chapter 42
- Means of egress from towers and elevated platforms around machinery or similar spaces subject to occupancy not to exceed three persons who are all capable of using the ladder
- Secondary means of egress from boiler rooms or similar spaces subject to occupancy not to exceed three persons who are all capable of using the ladder
- Access to the finished ground level from the lowest balcony or landing of a fire escape stair for small buildings as permitted in 220.127.116.11 where approved by the authority having jurisdiction
Fire escape ladders shall comply with ANSI A14.3, Ladders - Fixed - Safety Requirements, unless one of the following criteria is met:
- Approved existing ladders complying with the edition of this Code that was in effect when the ladders were installed shall be permitted.
- Industrial stairs complying with the minimum requirements for fixed stairs of ANSI/ASSE A1264.1, Safety Requirements for Workplace Walking/Working Surfaces and Their Access; Workplace Floor, Wall and Roof Openings; Stairs and Guardrail Systems, shall be permitted where fire escape ladders are permitted in accordance with Chapter 40.
Ladders shall be installed with a pitch that exceeds 75 degrees.
The lowest rung of any ladder shall not be more than 12 in. (305 mm) above the level of the surface beneath it.