3104.5 Fire Barriers Between Pedestrian Walkways and Buildings
Walkways shall be separated from the interior of the building by not less than 2-hour fire barriers constructed in accordance with Section 707 or horizontal assemblies constructed in accordance with Section 711, or both. This protection shall extend vertically from a point 10 feet (3048 mm) above the walkway roof surface or the connected building roof line, whichever is lower, down to a point 10 feet (3048 mm) below the walkway and horizontally 10 feet (3048 mm) from each side of the pedestrian walkway. Openings within the 10-foot (3048 mm) horizontal extension of the protected walls beyond the walkway shall be equipped with devices providing a 3/4-hour fire protection rating in accordance with Section 715.
- The distance between the connected buildings is more than 10 feet (3048 mm). The pedestrian walkway and connected buildings, except for open parking garages, are equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1. The wall is capable of resisting the passage of smoke or is constructed of a tempered, wired or laminated glass wall and doors subject to the following:
- The wall or glass separating the interior of the building from the pedestrian walkway shall be protected by an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 and the sprinkler system shall completely wet the entire surface of interior sides of the wall or glass when actuated;
- The glass shall be in a gasketed frame and installed in such a manner that the framing system will deflect without breaking (loading) the glass before the sprinkler operates; and
- Obstructions shall not be installed between the sprinkler heads and the wall or glass.
- The distance between the connected buildings is more than 10 feet (3048 mm) and both sidewalls of the pedestrian walkway are not less than 50 percent open with the open area uniformly distributed to prevent the accumulation of smoke and toxic gases.
- Buildings are on the same lot in accordance with Section 503.1.2.
- Where exterior walls of connected buildings are required by Section 705 to have a fire-resistance rating greater than 2 hours, the walkway shall be equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.