// CODE SNIPPET
D103.5 Fire Apparatus Access Road Gates
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Gates securing the fire apparatus access roads shall comply with all of the following criteria:
- Where a single gate is provided, the gate width shall be not less than 20 feet (6096 mm). Where a fire apparatus road consists of a divided roadway, the gate width shall be not less than 12 feet (3658 mm).
- Gates shall be of the swinging or sliding type.
- Construction of gates shall be of materials that allow manual operation by one person.
- Gate components shall be maintained in an operative condition at all times and replaced or repaired when defective.
- Electric gates shall be equipped with a means of opening the gate by fire department personnel for emergency access. Emergency opening devices shall be approved by the fire code official.
- Methods of locking shall be submitted for approval by the fire code official.
- Electric gate operators, where provided, shall be listed in accordance with UL 325.
- Gates intended for automatic operation shall be designed, constructed and installed to comply with the requirements of ASTM F2200.