// CODE SNIPPET
R507.2.3 Fasteners and Connectors
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Metal fasteners and connectors used for all decks shall be in accordance with Section R317.3 and Table R507.2.3.
|ITEM||MATERIAL||MINIMUM FINISH/COATING||ALTERNATE FINISH/COATINGe|
|Nails and timber rivets||In accordance with ASTM F1667||Hot-dipped galvanized per ASTM A153||Stainless steel, silicon bronze or copper|
(including nuts and
|In accordance with|
ASTM A307 (bolts),
ASTM A563 (nuts),
ASTM F844 (washers)
|Hot-dipped galvanized per ASTM A153, Class C|
(Class D for 3/8-inch diameter and less) or mechanically
galvanized per ASTM B695, Class 55 or 410
|Stainless steel, silicon bronze or copper|
|Metal connectors||Per manufacturer's|
|ASTM A653 type G185 zinc coated galvanized|
steel or post hot-dipped galvanized per
ASTM A123 providing a minimum average coating
weight of 2.0 oz./ft2 (total both sides)
For SI: 1 inch = 25.4 mm, 1 foot = 304.8 mm.
- Equivalent materials, coatings and finishes shall be permitted.
- Fasteners and connectors exposed to salt water or located within 300 feet of a salt water shoreline shall be stainless steel.
- Holes for bolts shall be drilled a minimum 1/32 inch and a maximum 1/16 inch larger than the bolt.
- Lag screws 1/2 inch and larger shall be predrilled to avoid wood splitting per the National Design Specification (NDS) for Wood Construction.
- Stainless-steel-driven fasteners shall be in accordance with ASTM F1667.