Fans shall have a fan efficiency grade (FEG) of not less than 67 when determined in accordance with AMCA 205 by an approved, independent testing laboratory. The total efficiency of the fan at the design point of operation shall be within 15 percentage points of the maximum total efficiency of the fan.
Exception: The following fans are not required to have a fan efficiency grade:
- 1.1. Single fan with a motor nameplate horse power of 5 hp (3.7 kW) or less, unless Exception 1.2 applies.
- 1.2. Multiple fans in series or parallel that have a combined motor nameplate horsepower of 5 hp (3.7 kW) or less and are operated as the functional equivalent of a single fan.
- Fans that are part of equipment covered under Section C403.2.3.
- Fans included in an equipment package certified by an approved agency for air or energy performance.
- Powered wall/roof ventilators.
- Fans outside the scope of AMCA 205.
- Fans that are intended to operate only during emergency conditions.