// CODE SNIPPET
707A.6 Exterior Porch Ceilings
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
The exposed underside of exterior porch ceilings shall be protected by one of the following:
- Noncombustible material
- Ignition-resistant material
- One layer of 5/8-inch Type X gypsum sheathing applied behind the exterior covering on the underside of the ceiling
- The exterior portion of a 1-hour fire resistive exterior wall assembly applied to the underside of the ceiling assembly including assemblies using the gypsum panel and sheathing products listed in the Gypsum Association Fire Resistance Design Manual
- Porch ceiling assemblies with a horizontal underside that meet the performance criteria in Section 707A.10 when tested in accordance with the test procedures set forth in ASTM E2957.
- Porch ceiling assemblies with a horizontal underside that meet the performance criteria in accordance with the test procedures set forth in SFM Standard 12-7A-3.
Exception: Architectural trim boards.