Section 1027 Exterior Exit Stairways and Ramps
- Adjacent lot lines.
- Other portions of the building.
- Other buildings on the same lot unless the adjacent building exterior walls and openings are protected in accordance with Section 705 based on fire separation distance.
For the purposes of this section, other portions of the building shall be treated as separate buildings.
Exterior exit stairways and ramps shall be separated from the interior of the building as required in Section 1023.2. Openings shall be limited to those necessary for egress from normally occupied spaces. Where a vertical plane projecting from the edge of an exterior exit stairway or ramp and landings is exposed by other parts of the building at an angle of less than 180 degrees (3.14 rad), the exterior wall shall be rated in accordance with Section 1023.7.
- Separation from the interior of the building is not required for occupancies, other than those in Group R-1 or R-2, in buildings that are not more than two stories above grade plane where a level of exit discharge serving such occupancies is the first story above grade plane.
- Separation from the interior of the building is not required where the exterior exit stairway or ramp is served by an exterior exit ramp or balcony that connects two remote exterior exit stairways or other approved exits with a perimeter that is not less than 50 percent open. To be considered open, the opening shall be not less than 50 percent of the height of the enclosing wall, with the top of the openings not less than 7 feet (2134 mm) above the top of the balcony.
- 3.1. The building, including open-ended corridors, and stairways and ramps, shall be equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2.
- 3.2. The open-ended corridors comply with Section 1020.
- 3.3. The open-ended corridors are connected on each end to an exterior exit stairway or ramp complying with Section 1027.
- 3.4. The exterior walls and openings adjacent to the exterior exit stairway or ramp comply with Section 1023.7.
- 3.5. At any location in an open-ended corridor where a change of direction exceeding 45 degrees (0.79 rad) occurs, a clear opening of not less than 35 square feet (3.3 m2) or an exterior stairway or ramp shall be provided. Where clear openings are provided, they shall be located so as to minimize the accumulation of smoke or toxic gases.
- In Group R-3 occupancies not more than four stories in height, exterior exit stairways and ramps serving individual dwelling units are not required to be separated from the interior of the building where the exterior exit stairway or ramp discharges directly to grade.