// CODE SNIPPET
1617.5 Extent of the Structural Peer Review
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
The structural peer reviewer shall review the plans and specifications submitted with the permit application for general compliance with the structural and foundation design provisions of this code. The reviewing engineer shall perform the following tasks at a minimum:
- Confirm that the design loads conform to this code.
- Confirm that other structural design criteria and design assumptions conform to this code and are in accordance with generally accepted engineering practice.
- Review geotechnical and other engineering investigations that are related to the foundation and structural design and confirm that the design properly incorporates the results and recommendations of the investigations.
- Review the structural frame and the load supporting parts of floors, roofs, walls and foundations. Cladding, cladding framing, stairs, equipment supports, ceiling supports, non-loadbearing partitions, railings and guards, and other secondary structural items shall be excluded.
- Confirm that the structure has a complete load path.
- Perform independent calculations for a representative fraction of systems, members, and details to check their adequacy. The number of representative systems, members, and details verified shall be sufficient to form a basis for the reviewer's conclusions.
- Verify that performance-specified structural components (such as certain precast concrete elements) have been appropriately specified and coordinated with the primary building structure.
- Verify that the design engineer of record complied with the structural integrity provisions of the code.
- Review the structural and architectural plans for the building. Confirm that the structural plans are in general conformance with the architectural plans regarding loads and other conditions that may affect the structural design.
- Confirm that major mechanical items are accommodated in the structural plans.
- Attest to the general completeness of the structural plans and specifications.
If the design criteria and design assumptions are not shown on the drawings or in the computations, the structural engineer of record shall provide a statement of these criteria and assumptions for the reviewer. In addition, the design engineer shall provide information and/or calculations, if requested by the peer reviewer.