Where required by Table 3206.2, fire detection systems, smoke and heat removal and automatic sprinkler design densities shall extend the lesser of 15 feet (4572 mm) beyond the high-piled storage area or to a permanent partition. Where portions of high-piled storage areas have different fire protection requirements because of commodity, method of storage or storage height, the fire protection features required by Table 3206.2 within this area shall be based on the most restrictive design requirements.
GENERAL FIRE PROTECTION AND LIFE SAFETY REQUIREMENTS
|COMMODITY CLASS||SIZE OF HIGH-PILED STORAGE AREAa (square feet) (see Sections 3206.2 and 3206.4)||ALL STORAGE AREAS (See Sections 3206, 3207 and 3208)b||SOLID-PILED STORAGE, SHELF STORAGE AND PALLETIZED STORAGE (see Section 3207.3)|
|Automatic fire-extinguishing system (see Section 3206.4)||Fire detection system (see Section 3206.5)||Building access (see Section 3206.6)||Smoke and heat removal (see Section 3206.7)||Maximum pile dimensionc (feet)||Maximum permissible storage heightd (feet)||Maximum pile volume (cubic feet)|
|I-IV||0-500||Not Requireda||Not Required||Not Requirede||Not Required||Not Required||Not Required||Not Required|
|501-2,500||Not Requireda||Yesi||Not Requirede||Not Required||100||40||100,000|
|2,501-12,000 Public accessible||Yes||Not Required||Not Requirede||Not Required||100||40||400,000|
|2,501-12,000 Nonpublic accessible (Option 1)||Yes||Not Required||Not Requirede||Not Required||100||40||400,000|
|2,501-12,000 Nonpublic accessible (Option 2)||Not Requireda||Yes||Yes||Yesj||100||30f||200,000|
|Greater than 500,000g||Yes||Not Required||Yes||Yesj||100||40||400,000|
|High hazard||0-500||Not Requireda||Not Required||Not Requirede||Not Required||50||Not Required||Not Required|
|501-2,500 Public accessible||Yes||Not Required||Not Requirede||Not Required||50||30||75,000|
|501-2,500 Nonpublic accessible (Option 1)||Yes||Not Required||Not Requirede||Not Required||50||30||75,000|
|501-2,500 Nonpublic accessible (Option 2)||Not Requireda||Yes||Yes||Yesj||50||20||50,000|
|300,001-500,000g, h||Yes||Not Required||Yes||Yesj||50||30||75,000|
For SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm, 1 cubic foot = 0.02832 m3 , 1 square foot = 0.0929 m2.
- Where automatic sprinklers are required for reasons other than those in Chapter 32, the portion of the sprinkler system protecting the high-piled storage area shall be designed and installed in accordance with Sections 3207 and 3208.
- For aisles, see Section 3206.9.
- Piles shall be separated by aisles complying with Section 3206.9.
- For storage in excess of the height indicated, special fire protection shall be provided in accordance with Note g where required by the fire code official. See Chapters 51 and 57 for special limitations for aerosols and flammable and combustible liquids, respectively.
- Section 503 shall apply for fire apparatus access.
- For storage exceeding 30 feet in height, Option 1 shall be used.
- Special fire protection provisions including, but not limited to, fire protection of exposed steel columns; increased sprinkler density; additional in-rack sprinklers, without associated reductions in ceiling sprinkler density; or additional fire department hose connections shall be provided when required by the fire code official.
- High-piled storage areas shall not exceed 500,000 square feet. A 2-hour fire wall constructed in accordance with Section 706 of the California Building Code shall be used to divide high-piled storage exceeding 500,000 square feet in area.
- Not required where an automatic fire-extinguishing system is designed and installed to protect the high-piled storage area in accordance with Sections 3207 and 3208.
- Not required where storage areas with an exit access travel distance of 250 feet (76 200 mm) or less are protected by either early suppression fast response (ESFR) sprinkler systems or control mode special application sprinklers with a response time index of 50 (m • s)1/2 or less that are listed to control a fire in the stored commodities with 12 or fewer sprinklers, installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.