One of the required exit enclosures in each building shall be permitted to have glazing installed in doors and interior walls at each landing level providing access to the enclosure, provided that the following conditions are met:
- The exit enclosure shall not serve more than four floor levels.
- Exit doors shall not be less than 3/4-hour fire door assemblies complying with Section 715.4
- The total area of glazing at each floor level shall not exceed 5,000 square inches (3 m2) and individual panels of glazing shall not exceed 1,296 square inches (0.84 m2).
- The glazing shall be protected on both sides by an automatic fire sprinkler system. The sprinkler system shall be designed to wet completely the entire surface of any glazing affected by fire when actuated.
- The glazing shall be in a gasketed frame and installed in such a manner that the framing system will deflect without breaking (loading) the glass before the sprinkler system operates.
- Obstructions, such as curtain rods, drapery traverse rods, curtains, drapes or similar materials shall not be installed between the automatic sprinklers and the glazing.