317.3.1 Existing State-Owned Buildings
[BSC] For existing state-owned structures including all buildings owned by the University of California and the California State University, the requirements of Section 317 apply whenever the structure is to be retrofitted, repaired or modified and any of the following apply:
- Total construction cost, not including cost of furnishings, fixtures and equipment, or normal maintenance, for the building exceeds 25 percent of the construction cost for the replacement of the existing building. The changes are cumulative for past modifications to the building that occurred after adoption of the 1995 California Building Code and did not require seismic retrofit.
- There are changes in risk category.
- The modification to the structural components increases the seismic forces in or strength requirements of any structural component of the existing structure by more than 10 percent cumulative since the original construction, unless the component has the capacity to resist the increased forces determined in accordance with Section 319. If the building's seismic base shear capacity has been increased since the original construction, the percent change in base shear may be calculated relative to the increased value.
- Structural elements need repair where the damage has reduced the lateral-load-resisting capacity of the structural system by more than 10 percent.
- Changes in live or dead load increase story shear by more than 10 percent.