Buildings that comply with the following shall be exempt from the building thermal envelope provisions of this code:
- Are separate buildings with floor area not more than 500 square feet (50 m2).
- Are intended to house electronic equipment with installed equipment power totaling not less than 7 watts per square foot (75 W/m2) and not intended for human occupancy.
- Have a heating system capacity not greater than (17,000 Btu/hr) (5 kW) and a heating thermostat set point that is restricted to not more than 50°F (10°C).
- Have an average wall and roof U-factor less than 0.200 in Climate Zones 1 through 5 and less than 0.120 in Climate Zones 6 through 8.
- Comply with the roof solar reflectance and thermal emittance provisions for Climate Zone 1.