[NY] 1206.18 Energy Storage Systems in Group R-3, and R-4 Occupancies
Energy storage systems in Group R-3 and R-4 occupancies shall be installed and maintained in accordance with Sections 1206.18.1 through 1206.18.9. The temporary use of an owner or occupant's electric powered vehicle as an energy storage system shall be in accordance with Section 1206.18.11.
Energy storage systems shall be listed and labeled for residential use in accordance with UL 9540. Energy storage systems listed and labeled solely for utility or commercial use shall not be used for residential applications.
- Where approved by the fire code official, repurposed unlisted battery systems from electric vehicles are allowed to be installed outdoors or in detached dedicated cabinets located not less than 5 feet (1524 mm) from exterior walls, property lines and public ways.
- Energy storage systems less than 1 kWh (3.6 megajoules).
Energy storage systems shall only be installed in the following locations:
- Detached garages and detached accessory structures.
- Attached garages separated from the dwelling unit living space and sleeping units in accordance with Section 406.3.4 of the Building Code of New York State.
- Outdoors on exterior walls located a minimum 3 feet (910 mm) from doors and windows.
- Utility closets and storage or utility spaces within dwelling units and sleeping units.
Individual energy storage system units shall have a maximum rating of 20 kWh. The aggregate rating shall not exceed:
- 40 kWh within utility closets and storage or utility spaces
- 80 kWh in attached or detached garages and detached accessory structures
- 80 kWh on exterior walls
- 80 kWh outdoors on the ground