Energy recovery ventilation systems shall be installed in accordance with this section. Where required for purposes of energy conservation, energy recovery ventilation systems shall comply with the International Energy Conservation Code. Ducted heat recovery ventilators shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 1812. Nonducted heat recovery ventilators shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 1815.
Energy recovery ventilation systems shall not be used in the following systems:
- Hazardous exhaust systems covered in Section 510.
- Dust, stock and refuse systems that convey explosive or flammable vapors, fumes or dust.
- Smoke control systems covered in Section 513.
- Commercial kitchen exhaust systems serving Type I or Type II hoods.
- Clothes dryer exhaust systems covered in Section 504.
Exception: The application of ERV equipment that recovers sensible heat only utilizing coil-type heat exchangers shall not be limited by this section.