Section N1106 (R406) Energy Rating Index Compliance Alternative
Compliance with this section requires that the provisions identified in Sections N1101.134 through N1104 indicated as "mandatory" and in Section N1103.5.3 be met. The building thermal envelope shall be greater than or equal to levels of efficiency and Solar Heat Gain Coefficients in Table 402.1.1 or 402.1.3 of the 2009 International Energy Conservation Code.
The Energy Rating Index (ERI) shall be determined in accordance with RESNET/ICC 301 except that the ERI reference design ventilation rate shall be in accordance with Equation 11-1 and the ERI rated design ventilation rate shall comply with the mechanical ventilation requirements of the RCO Section 1505.
Compliance based on an ERI analysis requires that the rated design be shown to have an ERI less than or equal to the appropriate value indicated in Table N1106.4 when compared to the ERI reference design.
TABLE N1106.4 (R406.4)
MAXIMUM ENERGY RATING INDEX
|CLIMATE ZONE||ENERGY RATING INDEXa|
- Where on-site renewable energy is included for compliance using the ERI analysis of Section N1106.4, the building shall meet the mandatory requirements of Section N1106.2, and the building thermal envelope shall be greater than or equal to the levels of efficiency and SHGC in Table N1102.1.2 or Table N1102.1.4 of the 2015 International Residential Code.
Compliance software tools shall generate a report that documents that the ERI of the rated design complies with Sections N1106.3 and N1106.4. The compliance documentation shall include the following information:
- Address or other identification of the residential building.
- An inspection checklist documenting the building component characteristics of the rated design. The inspection checklist shall show results for both the ERI reference design and the rated design, and shall document all inputs entered by the user necessary to reproduce the results.
- Name of individual completing the compliance report.
- Name and version of the compliance software tool.
Exception: Where an otherwise identical building model is offered in multiple orientations, compliance for any orientation shall be permitted by documenting that the building meets the performance requirements in each of the four (north, east, south and west) cardinal orientations.
The code official shall be permitted to require the following documents:
- Documentation of the building component characteristics of the ERI reference design.
- A certification signed by the builderowner or the owner's representative providing the building component characteristics of the rated design.
- Documentation of the actual values used in the software calculations for the rated design.