// CODE SNIPPET
1022.1 Enclosures Required
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Interior exit stairways and interior exit ramps shall be enclosed with fire barriers constructed in accordance with Section 707 or horizontal assemblies constructed in accordance with Section 712, or both. Exit enclosures shall have a fire-resistance rating of not less than 2 hours where connecting four stories or more and not less than 1 hour where connecting less than four stories. The number of stories connected by the exit enclosure shall include any basements but not any mezzanines. Exit enclosures shall have a fire-resistance rating not less than the floor assembly penetrated, but need not exceed 2 hours. In Group R-1 and R-2 occupancies, where exit enclosures are required to have a fire-resistance rating of 2 hours, such enclosures shall be constructed of masonry or masonry equivalent. Wall assemblies constituting masonry equivalent shall be constructed in accordance with department rules. Exit enclosures shall lead directly to the exterior of the building or shall be extended to the exterior of the building with an exit passageway conforming to the requirements of Section 1023, except as permitted in Section 1027.1. An exit enclosure shall not be used for any purpose other than means of egress.
- In all occupancies, other than Group H and I occupancies, a stairway is not required to be enclosed when the stairway serves an occupant load of less than 10 and the stairway complies with either Item 1.1 or 1.2. In all cases, the maximum number of connecting open stories shall not exceed two.
- Exits in buildings of Group A-5 where all portions of the means of egress are essentially open to the outside need not be enclosed.
- Stairways serving and contained within a single residential dwelling unit or sleeping unit in Group R-1, R-2 or R-3 occupancies are not required to be enclosed.
- Stairways in open parking structures that serve only the parking structure are not required to be enclosed.
- Stairways in Group I-3 occupancies as provided for in Section 408.3.8 are not required to be enclosed.
- Means of egress stairways as required by Sections 410.5.3 and 1015.6.1 are not required to be enclosed.
- Means of egress stairways from balconies, galleries or press boxes as provided for in Section 1028.5.1 are not required to be enclosed.
- Vertical exit enclosures with doors that are automatic-closing by smoke detection pursuant to the exception set forth in Section 708.7 may be used for travel between floors and this use shall not be deemed to interfere with function as a means of egress.
Related Code Sections
1019.1 Means of Egress, Enclosures Required
to other stories. 10. In Group R-1 and R-2 occupancies, where exit enclosures are required to have a fire-resistance rating of 2 hours ...
NYC Building Code 2008 > 10 Means of Egress > 1019 Vertical Exit Enclosures > 1019.1 Enclosures Required
1022.1 Means of Egress, Enclosures Required
not exceed 2 hours. In Group R-1 and R-2 occupancies, where exit enclosures are required to have a fire-resistance rating of 2 hours, such enclosures ...
707.2 Fire-Resistance-Rated Construction, Shaft Enclosure Required
: 1. A shaft enclosure is not required for openings totally within an individual residential dwelling unit and connecting four stories or less where ...
NYC Building Code 2008 > 7 Fire-Resistance-Rated Construction > 707 Shaft Enclosures > 707.2 Shaft Enclosure Required
708.2 Fire and Smoke Protection Features, Shaft Enclosure Required
enclosure is not required for openings totally within an individual residential dwelling unit and connecting four stories or less where such dwelling ...
NYC Building Code 2014 > 7 Fire and Smoke Protection Features > 708 Shaft Enclosures > 708.2 Shaft Enclosure Required
506.3.10.4 Exhaust Systems, Duct Enclosure Not Required
A duct enclosure shall not be required for a grease duct that penetrates only a nonfire-resistance-rated roof/ceiling assembly ...
NYC Mechanical Code 2014 > 5 Exhaust Systems > 506 Commercial Kitchen Hood Ventilation System Ducts and Exhaust Equipment > 506.3 Ducts Serving Type I Hoods > 506.3.10 Grease Duct Enclosure > 506.3.10.4 Duct Enclosure Not Required